How to produce this style...

Rogan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My mate takes shots at gigs and he often puts them so they come out like this...

2436809616_8b12bd6f88_o.jpg

was was wondering what sort of settings produce images like this?!

Thanks
Rogan!

for me to do this I'd lower my ISO to 1 or 200. I'd move the camera after I hit the shutter very slightly. The camera's shutter would stay open longer and try to grab all light it can see. Normally tripods are required with ISO settings like this to prevent this from happening but since you want to replicate it that's how I'd do it.

This is not the most technical explanation but wait for others to post and they'll sound smarter.

def some slow shutter speeds, but fs would be a factor too, as you dont want too much light (if im not mistaken).
im sure someone who is MUCH more knowledgable than i will come along shortly and give you more concrete answers. thought i might take a swing at it. :)

This is basically done by setting your cam on a tripod, use a long exposure time but then freeze the action with a flash. All the exact settings will depend on the light in the venue.

BTW, if the above image is not your own we ask that you link to it rather than post it. thanks.

I used to get pictures like this all the time with my sony point and shoot.... except they were not intentional....

Try using a crap camera in auto settings...:lmao:

I used to get pictures like this all the time with my sony point and shoot.... except they were not intentional....

Try using a crap camera in auto settings...:lmao:

:lol:

well i have the Fuji Finepix S5600

i can change the shutter timing, aperture, and ISO,

tripod isnt suibtable for the occasion

and thanks arch i will remember that in future posts!

i can set the ISO to really low, and the shutter timing between 1/2000th and 15 seconds so what time shud i be looking at roughly?

just set the ISO to 64 and the shutter to 1 second

obviously cant test in these lighting conditions but seems to be giving quite reasonably close ish results?

I think rear-curtain flash is what gives the crisp image of the performer at the end of the blurry lines, otherwise you'd just have blur. So check if your camera has that feature. What it does is give you a long exposure time, then the flash goes off right at the end of the exposure, just before the shutter closes again.

wouldnt 2nd curtain sync on a flash with a slower shutter speed produce and image like this?

You would have to experiment with different speed to achieve the amount of blur and motion you wanted to show.

I haven never really inspected it on my DSLR, but on my 35mm SLR I have actually watched the shutter with the back open.

There are two curtains that slide across the opening to allow light to hit the film, depending on the Shutter speed they will move faster or slower. 2nd curtain sync with a flash means the flash fires right before the 2nd curtain closes, where the norm is to have the flash fire as the 1st curtain opens.

right.. im not sure my camera has that option since its a 'power zoom' P&S

I looked your cam up at DPreview.com and it has a feature called slow syncro for the flash, that could be it.

It has a hotshoe for external flash, i would think somewhere it has this option.

I looked your cam up at DPreview.com and it has a feature called slow syncro for the flash, that could be it.

It has a hotshoe for external flash, i would think somewhere it has this option.

Slow Sync probably fires the flash at the beginning of the exposure rather than at the end (as with Rear Sync), but the effect should be similar.

Most reactions

Back