how to produce vignette effect

crazyjackphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Always wanted to know how to add/ create those soft vignette effect to the image. How to get the effect it without photoshop. thanks a lot

well... you could make the mistake i did and stack too many filters on ur lens and take pictures with it wide open....

I got some black bristol board and cut it out like a funnel with a flower shape at the end like the lens hoods and taped it then popped it on my lens..
010818.jpg

You could make a card or something with a hole in it. Hold it up in front of your lens when shooting. The size of the hole and how much it block the lens, will determine the size/amount of the vignette. Your aperture/DOF will determine the softness of your vignette. A shallow DOF should give you a soft vignette. A small aperture will give you a harder vignette.

one cool thing my professor used to tell us to try was to get a cheap filter, just something clear to protect the lens, and rub a ring of vaseline around the outside. you control the amount of vaseline, and how much area it covers.
some cool results.

one cool thing my professor used to tell us to try was to get a cheap filter, just something clear to protect the lens, and rub a ring of vaseline around the outside. you control the amount of vaseline, and how much area it covers.
some cool results.

LOL that's sounds awesome....

some cool results.

This makes sense to blur the periphery on film but not so good for digital.
It destroys sharpness irreparably.

Most reactions

Back