How to see creatively? *Warning: My crappy pix inside*

shadesofme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As an amateur just migrated from Point and Shoot, I am both amazed and overwhelmed by the techniques needed to create shots that are beautiful and meaningful. Technical techniques can be studied and learned, but how does one learn to "see" creatively? How does one learn to see the way a photographer sees?
I bought a Nikon D50 dSLR two days ago and the following shots are the ones I feel are most creative of all. Don't critique me; please just let me know what's wrong with them (technically) and if you were taking the shots, how would you have composed them. Thanks.

flowers_dark.jpg

the flower: I tried to contrast the flower in the centre with the wilted leaves surrounding it. I gave a large portion to the brick wall to include the shadows.

ropes_buildings.jpg

The fence: I tried to convey the emotion of being barred from the soceity. hence the fence in focus and the buildings in the background. I guess my point wasn't clear.

monitor.jpg

The post-it note: I just thoght it was cool. i liked the slanted lines and the way the post-it note was flipped upward.

waterdrops.jpg

The water drops: I am very flattered that ppl like this pic. Too be honestly with you though, I didn't put much thought into it; a friend wanted me to show off what my new camera could do, so I turned on all the kitchen lights, set the shutter speed to 1/500, maxed aperture, and took a shot at the water. The way it came out was all but luck.

bike.jpg

The bike: I actually spent most time w/ this shot. I liked the composition and how the shadow was cast on the wall, on the ground, and onto the yard door.

doll.jpg

the two dolls: the tough guy(off focus)looking at the asian innocent looking kid(in focus). I thought it was cool.

tree.jpg

The sign and tall tree: I liked it because of the perspective and how part of the sign was hiding in the leaves. BTW, its not a tree, it's a lamp post.

dog.jpg

THe dog: I like the way he sat and he was happy.

Its impossible to tell someone how to be creative because creativity is such a personal thing, and is quite hard to define. You have a good start with the pictures there, and with a D50 you can shoot as much as you want without worrying about film costs and you get instant feedback. Start taking a lot of pictures of anything that inspires you, take a buch of shots with different techniques, adjust the camera settings, the angles, etc...
When I first started photography most of my pictures were boring and uninteresting. But I look at what I thought was good and went in that direction, and I looked at what I didn't really like and didn't take pictures like that anymore. Try doing some of the weekly photo assignments that are in the photo theme forums, that might give you a place to start and sparks some ideas. Also look through the gallery and critique forum, sometimes I am inspired by photos from other members.

Be interested in whatever you shoot and ask yourself what is it that I find interesting. Walk around it, study it. Look for lines, curves ect. that you can incorporate into your picture. Look through the viewfinder and walk around some more. Always note the lighting conditions, how will the light affect the picture, what should I meter on. Well those are some of the things that I do, I am not a professional. Oh and shoot, shoot and shoot. The net is full of articules on composition. Most important is to enjoy what you are doing.

I'm not expert by any shape or means.

But for example take #1.

Probably the idea behind the picture was to capture the pretty flower, possibly capitalise on the interplay between greenery and brick.

What came across:
I walked up to a bush pointed the camera down, and snapped off a shot.

Possibly a lower point of view would be more flattering. Also, the light source is casting an orange glow, and casting harsh shadows that aren't really that interesting, and lead out of the frame.

I think one of the biggest things I've had to learn is to actually SEE what is in the view finder, not just what I have in my head.

Hope that helps some.

And I agree, #4 is really cool.

It's hard to say how I would have composed or cropped an image, without being there, and seeing what the scene offered. I think if you just shoot as much as possible, from every angle, perespective, in every kind of light, and post pictures for critique, you'll start to learn what works and what doesnt.

A quick tip to help you would be to not be afraid to get down on your knees, or your stomach, or on a ladder or rooftop, for a different perspective. Animals and insects are often times best shot from a view that humans don't normally see, ie. on the animals level. It makes you feel like a part of their world.

shoot pictures of what interests you most.
if nature interests you most, thats what you shoot. try to capture something you want to share with others. photography is art and like art many people try to convey a feeling or emotion and in those pictures where you find a personal connection you will find your best pictures.

also what everyone else said, take millions of pictures and go in the directions that you find most interesting.

Cool shots ...I like #3 the best.
I am not sure how to explain taking photos. I have never had a lesson in photography or photoshop. I kinda take the shot of what I see. I found myself practicing in quiet places, with objects that ya dont have to bribe to sit still(cemeteries work great :fangs: ) Not much happening there, and you can find a statue or something and just walk around it. Check out the angles.
Other then that , I just take what I see. Hanging out here at the Forum has been my teacher too. :thumbup:

i agree with chiller....hanging out here, seeing others pictures, using their perspective helps alot... (chiller, cemetaries dont move?? i have seen things..but thats another thread...)

i love your water droplet pic...that was very creative....
and in jonmikals words to me..." just take pictures of anything and everything.."
just get out there....

but the best advice.... read and look close at these guys and girls on here...they are the most talented people i have seen...i think some of the best pictures are from these people on here....they are wonderful.

Thanks everyone for the kind and warm advice and I will definitely take it all in and learn to become a more adequate photoshooting person (don't care to call myself a photographer)

wish I could give some good advice, as I am completely ignorant of the whole creative concept.., I think you have a great start with that camera, and look fwd to seeing you images ... please keep posting!

My advice is to shoot, shoot, shoot. One of the great advantages to digital is that you can take and review thousands of pictures for free, and then do it again.

While you are doing that go to a library or (or book store) and look at the photography books and magazines. Not books on the how to of photography, but rather the "coffee table" type books filled with photos. Look at all of them you can find (old Life, and National Geographic Mags are also awesome). Look at how these photos were taken, in particular try and figure out the lighting. Where was the sun at? Was it morning? Mid Day? Afternoon? IMHO lighting not composition is the most important part of taking a good photograph. It took me a LONG time to figure that out.

While I am up here on my soap box, I have one more comment. I am glad that you are wanting to know "how to see", rather than "how to photoshop". While I am a very big fan and user of Photoshop, there seems to be an idea around the net that photoshop can fix anything, which it can't.

Ok off my soapbox now;)

Good post, Very interesting mind. All these shots have photography characteristics to them. Keepem snappin.

Nice photos. And Welcome ! Your gonna like this place !

Hey, I hope you take this as constructive criticism. I know everyone on this general forum tends to be super nice and gentle, but I also think it helps to be honest about our opinions on your shots. So, here goes...

First off, I think shot 4 is awesome. Captures motion, interesting perspective, really sharp and good color. Great shot.

So in addition to a lot of the other comments made here, some specific thoughts I had...

Shot #1 struck me as being off balance on color (intentional?) I also wasn't entirely sure what the subject was. Try to frame your subject in your shot or crop out other elements in post processing to bring attention to what you are trying to show. Sometimes pics can be taken off balance and still do this, but early on you just tend to center on it. There's lots of tricks. Also I was wondering why take pictures of what would appear to be dead flowers?

Shot #2 was kinda interesting, but did you mean to focus on the fence? The fence didn't strike me as too interesting of a fence, but might have made a decent foreground object if the background stuff was cool.

Shot #3 has me fascinated because I'm a computer geek and I'm trying to figure out what the hell that is, but other than that, I'm lost. I wasn't sure what you were trying to say here, and I can't determine where the focus is... seems the whole shot is soft? Intentional?

Shot #5 seemed fine, nice sharp lines, maybe out of color balance a bit, but I couldn't be sure. It didn't grab me really, but this stuff is SO subjective. I've posted a shot or two on this forum that I really didnt like and everyone else thought was great. Who knows?

Shot #6 is interesting and has me looking at it a long time, It's just hard in the jumble of stuff to see what you're going for.

Shot #7 is kinda neat, too bad about that sky but what the heck are you gonna do, right? Me, personally, I'd try to sharpen it and deepen the contrast to make it pop. Maybe put a touch more green into it as well.

The last shot looks like a cute pic of the family dog. :)

Anyway, I hope this helps. If it ticks you off I promise to toss myself to the wolves later. :) :lol:

Most reactions

Back