How to shoot faster than 1/200 using a D60?

It depends what time of day you will be shooting, how much ambient light there is, what mode and power setting the SB-600 is set to, and the effect you want to create.

1/200 is the fastest shutter speed achievable using flash, on or off camera, with a D60 because it doesn't have an FP sync mode capability.

Shutter speed controls ambient light and aperture controls subject exposure when using flash on or off camera.

So if I put the SB600 at full power TTL and 1/200 shutter speed and let's say f/11, would that achieve similiar effect to that picture in the first post?

So if I put the SB600 at full power TTL and 1/200 shutter speed and let's say f/11, would that achieve similiar effect to that picture in the first post?
Your best bet is to setup andd try some shots, but you're looking at an image that was made with at least 4 lights

Look at the shadows, and the highlights.............There is a light above and behind them (probably mounted to the top of the orange playground equipment behind them as a hair and rim light). It's casting a shadow in front of them.

There are 2 side lights, both hard light (a strobe with no modifier), camera right and camera left and somewhat behind them.

Look at the guy on the right. See how bright his cheek is, and the glare on the blue PG equipment to the right of him? That gives you an idea of how high the light was.

The light camera left was further back. See the bright spot under the right ear of both guys on the left? See the bright spot on the black playground equipment in the upper left corner?

Plus they were also lit with low power fill on the same axis as the camera lens, either a pop up, a shoe mounted speedlight or possibly an umbrella or softbox because the light looks somewhat modified.

Take a look at the evergreen tree and it's shadow just to the right of the group in the background. That will give you an idea of where the Sun was when the image was made.

1/200 at f/11 will be plenty, if you nuke 'em with 4 lights too. One SB-600 won't cut it.

Last edited:
Gotcha, I'm not expecting to be able to get pictures exactly like that, but that same style. Ill be looking into purchasing an Alien bees b800 or maybe 2 more hot shoes. I can get 2 vivitars and some triggers/receivers for the price of an AB800 though.

Gotcha, I'm not expecting to be able to get pictures exactly like that, but that same style. Ill be looking into purchasing an Alien bees b800 or maybe 2 more hot shoes. I can get 2 vivitars and some triggers/receivers for the price of an AB800 though.
It takes a lot of light to overpower the Sun. You can get the same style by shooting near dawn or dusk without as much light. You just don't have as much time to fool around.

I'll give you a bit of advice; do not try an emulate the shot you linked us to. If you want to overpower daylight, the *lowest-cost* solution is an old, simple flash; the Sunpak 622 Super. it is *the* most-powerful handle-mount style electronic flash market made within the last 25 years, and if you look around, there are still some of them in-stock. With the Super Zoom head, the guide number on this thing is through the roof--it is AS powerful as many 400 watt-second studio flash units. Why? It has a super-efficient reflector and an efficient flash tube, plus a beam-narrowing NORM and TELE position zoom head. It runs off of four size C-batteries.

The Sunpak Super 622 is as powerful as the Q-flash. Its Guide Number when zoomed to Normal or Tele is as high as many 400 watt-second monolights.

If you really wish to overpower the sun, you need a CCD camera with a hybrid mechanical shutter system, like a Nikon D40 or a Nikon D1x or a Nikon D70. With the D40 and D70, you can buy an inexpensive, reasonably modern body that will synchronize flash at really high shutter speeds, like 1/4000 with a flash connected by a PC cord, using the AS-15 hotshoe to PC outlet adapter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back