How to shoot macros with film cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Pband, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Pband

Pband TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello friends,
    I own a Canon PowerShot S5IS and a Nikon 2002 film camera with a 28-200 lens. With the digital camera of course I can take macro shots. But can I also take macro shots with my film camera? If yes, then please tell me how.

2. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Same way you would.

3. yogibear

yogibear TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course! The only thing is you cannot see your work right after you take the exposure. People took macro shots long before digital cameras were around. Not sure if your lense has a macro feature but i know that i sometimes throw my 55-200mm on my nikon n80 and play around with psuedo macro. Sometimes not knowing what you are going to get can be fun.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I would recomend getting a copy of this book:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Close-ups-Nature-Practical-Photography-Books/dp/0817440526/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239219220&sr=8-1]Close-ups in Nature (Practical Photography Books): Amazon.co.uk: John Shaw: Books[/ame]

its a well written guide for macro photography and (like many of his writings) was written during his film days, though he does make mention of digital cameras as well (And many film methods still valid for digial shots). This would give you a lot of advice for film shooting macro.

Also you might need to look for a macro lens for your film camera - check out ebay and do some research as a lot of film gear is being sold very cheaply these days since digital stole the market.

5. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

Lenses aren't as many lenses ( especially true of Nikon and Pentax ) work fine on digital bodies.

That said it's well worth looking for older lenses but don't expect total bargains EXCEPT if you look for complete kits.

50mm f1.7 Pentax lenses can touch £40-50 on ebay.. but it's often possible to get the same lens on a body for less ( I paid £50 for two bodies, two 50mm lenses, 70-200 zoom, flash and tripod once )

6. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Macro for 35mm film cameras is perhaps cheapest and simplest with a standard 50mm lens and a set of extension tubes, including a lens-reversing ring for really close work.

7. Katier

Katier TPF Noob!

Not sure about simplest due to the fact the linkage between the lens and the body is lost. Forces full manual and a lot of understanding of exposures and possibly how to meter for flashes etc.

Simplest is a 100 or 135mm lens with Macro which can be had probably for about £50-100 off ebay.

8. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would look into the Nikkor 105mm F2.8 VR. I hear its a great macro lens. However, if a lens thats over $1000 is out of your budget, I would recommend the Sigma 105mm F2.8.

9. Pband

Pband TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks very much to all of you friends. But I don't think my lens support macros. It's a Sigma 28-200 AF lens. As I am very new to photography and economically weak, I am puzzles about what to do. Do I have to be out for one more lens?!
    Someone told me that I can shoot macros with a non-macro lens by using one of the following:-
    1. Close-up lens
    2. Extension tube
    3. Macro lens

I suppose each of these are supplimentary accessory used with a non-macro lens. Can anybody show a light on it, please?

10. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You could get a reversing ring (probably less than $10), or a macro coupler (also <$10) if you have another lens in addition to that 28-200.

Those would be the least expensive options. Extension tubes would be next ($80-100), followed by a macro lens ($400-600).

Not really familiar with the 'close-up lenses' (I think it's basically a magnifying filter), but as far as cost goes - they would probably be between the rings and extension tubes ($50ish?).

11. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are tons of ways to do macro with Film, I've toyed with just about all of them from bellows and extention tubes to reverse lens and macro filters, I've used dedicated macro lenses and macro enabled zooms, I've even combined several methoeds at a time to get some really close stuff.

Question is, how close do you want to get to what?

12. Pband

Pband TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Battou, please share with us some of your best macro shots.
    Mainly I want to shoot water drops, dragon flies, eyes of flies, polens of flowers etc.