How to Shoot pictures in the middle of the day

SethAlbritton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been reading an I'm aware of this.

Shooting during the mid day hours, when the sun is most directly over head, will create undesirable shadows that make the face look harsh and rigid. Shooting while the sun is at a lower angle, will provide a softer light that wraps around your model/subject, as opposed to shooting down on them.

There has to be away around this. If you have to shoot in the middle of the day what do I need? Just a flash, or am I still going to get horrible results. Any information is appreciated.

reflectors. maybe some shade.

I am not suggesting this product, Lastolite Trigrip, is what you need (although I have used and will be buying a trigrip), but the video tutorial will give you some ideas how to combat mid-day sun.

I know you can get some pretty creative lighting with a flash doing this:
Put your camera in program mode.
Remember what shutter speed and aperture the camera selects.
Put the camera in manual.
Set the camera for the same shutter but use two f stops smaller.
Fire.

You can overpower the sun with a flash, you can move to a location out of direct sunlight, you can use a big diffuser panel held over your subject toning down the sun, or you could just be more selective of shoot times.

Wow, even though I didn't ask this question, I just wanted to say thanks for the answers too! I've been having trouble with daytime photography in sunlight myself, and my previous solution was to avoid sunny days altogether :lol:

I am not suggesting this product, Lastolite Trigrip, is what you need (although I have used and will be buying a trigrip), but the video tutorial will give you some ideas how to combat mid-day sun.

+1 this is what I've used for a while now although I don't have the stand...I have a mobile one(the wifey!)

Most reactions

Back