How to...

Which picture specifically?
I will start with the obvious, though... a well exposed and composed picture requires very little PP, as a general rule.

It looks as though she gets the exposure right and keeps the contrast to manageable levels by photographing in slightly diffuse light - do that you don't need much if any PP.

It looks like high contrast with a cool wb to me. The skin tones are too bright to my eye, and they'll be even brighter in prints.

For the first two shots of the boy sitting on the neck of the Dad and the family in front of the truck, what specific method of contrast boosting did she most likely use? Did she just drag the contrast slider in ACR or something?

It looked like she bumped the contrast in a few of them, and to my humble preferences, it was unnecessary.

She shot every single one of those shots on the first page at ISO 1600. Wow.

Too grainy for my taste but that's all that is... my taste. I love the composition though. Great eye.

Too grainy for my taste but that's all that is... my taste. I love the composition though. Great eye.

What grain? There was zero grain that I could perceive.

But you surprised me when you said ISO 1600... I went back to check the first one and... damn, you were right. Canon 5D at ISO 1600 and 1/40th SS. That had to be one DARK alley and they could have used noise reduction software a touch... really, there is zero grain there.

Definately touched up with CS3, though, as well.

I don't personally like that style but I see it a lot. I always assumed they were overexposing it just slightly, but I see other suggestions here on what was done. It's an interesting style, but... mmm... yeah... no. :)

i like the composition of the pictures, but like others have said it kind of makes you strain your eyes if you look at the pictures for too long.

I didn't notice any particular style at all. There are like 10 different shoots there and every one of them were processed in very different ways. Some were massively overexposed, some were very underexposed, some were about right, most were sharpened with a 25 to 30 pixel radius at about 30~40% amount - as you can see from the halos around everything. A few were also sharpened again with something like 1 pixel radius at ~ 130%. Some were converted to B&W. Several had heavy use of the Shadows/Highlights tool applied to them.

Just random hodgepodge images with no real "style" at all.

You guys are funny...concocting stories about curves this and contrast boost that.

Every single shot is pretty normally exposed, with a healthy dose of Unsharp Masking. That's all.

Most reactions

Back