How was this done?

Waldo32487

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I'm normally pretty good with being able to figure out how a specific picture was taken (or at least a general idea of the setup).
But with this I'm completely lost.

http://www.randyscottslavin.com/alternate-perspectives-1/2014/9/12/big-sur

I'm assuming it's a 360 panoramic thats stitched together like the little planet photography. Is this basically the same thing just "spun" around a point in the sky?

It's a stitched panorama... one of the many projections available. Probably Mirror Ball that's been cropped after the stitch.

360 panorama, stitched together... re-sized to have equal length X height... flipped on vertical axis... polar coordinates filter applied in Photoshop.

ok so it is basically what I was thinking, the opposite of the "Tiny Planet" method.

I guess I'll have to go out and play with it and see if I'm able to duplicate something similar.
I've seen the tiny planet type things, I guess this one just stood out to me so much because it was different than those.

There are apps that will do this. There's an iOS app called "RollWorld" that does this.

I think one of the benefits this photo has is that it appears to be taken above a valley floor that has a fog bank sitting in it. What we call an Inversion back home. That gives the ring appearance to the clouds surrounding the hole of blue sky. Pretty neat shot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back