How would describe this style?

Backlight, low contrast outdoor or side lit from a window indoors with harsh shadows both needing some fill flash.

To me it looks like exposure was off (color looks off) and a lot of photoshopping was done. Otherwise the ones that have sunlight coming across the subjects was probably the time of day. If you like that idea then it might be worth it to look at more examples so you can learn how to get proper exposures and edit to enhance images not to try to correct.

This site cries out Mom With a Camera.
The about page is painfully over-personal; why would I care about her children or marital situation?
The black point is too high on many of the pictures so the shadows are murky and prints will be dark and not pleasant

I would describe it as "unskilled".

Looks like a self-taught shooter with few compositional skills, and a handful of Lightroom or other presets. Some of the images show good emotion, but poor composition, because as she states on her page, "Forget posing..."

Yeah...a paid professional family shooter who doesn't know how to pose people...because, posing is,like, for saps...

A natural light photographer, and one who post-processes her images pretty heavily. There are a LOT of Lightroom presets one can purchase these days.

Thanks.
Can you please critique these as well?
Southern Cotton Photography
Sweet Peach Photography
So many photographs, so little time. I can only hope that you don't intend to emulate any of these photographers.

Are you considering the possibility that you might become a professional photographer? If so, learn how before accepting someone's hard-earned money. Yes, I know, people "with a nice camera" can do weddings and portraiture, but the people could just as well hire someone who can offer a better product.

Thanks.
Sweet Peach Photography
Southern Cotton - The thing that strikes me the most solidly on this site is the posing... it is not good. Everything else looks "okay" but I'm not seeing very many solid money shots.

There is one frame on this page that could be pretty off-putting to a lot of couples. It's the one that is split down the middle into a composite, the ground of the top photo and the top half of the other... the bride and bridesmaids have their heads cut off so they are just some cleavage in a dress while the grooms are shown from the waist up. Aside from how bad it looks, it also makes a strongly polarizing statement as a leading piece in your marketing.

Sweet Peach - This person has a really flat processing style. It makes the photos look lifeless to me. I also see a few framing/composition/background issues. Seems to have a lot of trouble getting in close with this clients. The photos are so far out with so much empty space all around the people in the frame it gives the photos a sort of disinterested unattached quality that feels so foreign in relation to the emotions these people are feeling and showing on their faces.

I think somehow that disinterested quality shows through in the posing too. One photo in particular displays a lack of connection between the photographer and the clients, but it also makes them look like they aren't very connected to each other. The pose is terrible... the bride is leaning into the groom but the eyes are off to the side and it makes her face look more like grimace than a smile... and the groom, his arm is limp at his side, face mostly covered and in shadow giving her a limp smooch on the head, it makes him look vacant or absent in the photo. They are surrounded in dull empty space. The whole photo is just devoid of positive emotion. If I had managed to be so disconnected from my clients that I took a photo as lifeless and flaccid as that, it would have hit the reject pile in my first culling pass... it definitely would not have ever made it off the computer as an offering to a client and it boggles my mind to think of putting it on my website.

This person also has a LOT of issues with racoon eyes. Which is a problem because I think most photos I saw were an outdoor shot.

Edited to add: I should note that I'm not a wedding photographer so my opinion may be suspect, but I do a fair bit of lifestyle and environmental portraiture.

Last edited:
Thank you! I am NOT trying to emulate them. The reason I was asking is that I was offered to have a session with one of them. But I am struggling to find anything I like. As someone said mom with a camera is not a photographer....

Thanks.
Sweet Peach Photography
So many photographs, so little time. I can only hope that you don't intend to emulate any of these photographers.

Are you considering the possibility that you might become a professional photographer? If so, learn how before accepting someone's hard-earned money. Yes, I know, people "with a nice camera" can do weddings and portraiture, but the people could just as well hire someone who can offer a better product.

Not to worry, not trying to rob anyone of their hard earned money.... I was trying to make sure that I wasn't wrong. I didn't like their work, but thought that maybe I was wrong. Wanted to confirm.

For MagicMoments.
I would say LifeStyle. Nothing wrong with it. It's kinda trendy right now.
Ignore the haters. She's trying to get that intimate look of a family member taking the photos...it's not so much unskilled but it has that emotive feel.
The colour grading is trying to evoke the look of faded vintage film.
Sure it's flat but she's trying to be hipster.
The biggest question is: do you like that look personally?
If you do: go for it.
If you don't... then don't go for it.

ok Souther Cotton and Sweet Peach..I dont like so much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back