How would I make this work?

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just had an awsome idea for a picture. I was thinking it would be cool to take a picture through the viewfinder of another camera. Another cool thing would be putting a flashlight to the viewfinder so you get a picture of light coming out of the lens. How should I make this work to get a good turn out??

So once again I go on ignored.
Maybe no one has an answer? Let's hear your ideas on the matter.

Photoshop could easily make almost any image appear to be through a viewfinder. And, I don't know if I'd want light coming out of my lens as they're designed to collect it, not shoot it.

I can't imagine shining light through the viewfinder would turn out any different than using a flash. It probably just blind the sensor, thats why you get those cool little black pieces that cover the view finder when you buy a camera.

Technically a lens is a piece of glass, It doesn't care if it's collecting or shooting, it's just bending light ;)

And yeah don't assume we're all on here 24/7. Some of the most regular posters here only visit the forum once a day. Consider yourself ignored after a week.

As for doing this. I have no idea you may need a macro lens to focus properly.

I just had an awsome idea for a picture. I was thinking it would be cool to take a picture through the viewfinder of another camera. Another cool thing would be putting a flashlight to the viewfinder so you get a picture of light coming out of the lens.

Just what, exactly, do you mean by this?
Are these two separate shots?
'...a picture through the viewfinder...'? Do you just want to have a focusing screen overlaid on a view or what?
You may know what you are trying to say but as most of us here don't do mind reading (at least not for free) you need to be clearer describing what you are trying to do.

I assume that you intend using a second camera to photgraph the light coming from the lens, but then you would need a pretty smoky or dusty atmosphere for the light to show. Maybe use dry ice?

I have used a torch to light the view screen and project it onto the subject. I used this when the lighting was too dark to be certain of focussing correctly; the lens was focussed so that the image of the screen markings appeared to be sharp on the subject.

You are over complicating things....It's as easy as it sounds if you think about whay you are looking to achieve.

Threw the fiewfinder is as easy as taking your Digital Point and shoot ans butting it up against the eyepeice, focus and release.

here is one I did with mt C-743 threw the fiewfinder of my signet 40 to show the out of place focusing screen.

The second is just a matter of positioning. in the proping of the flash light

Threw the fiewfinder is as easy as taking your Digital Point and shoot ans butting it up against the eyepeice, focus and release.

There's a reason for it being easy with a digital P&S: the lens is similar in size to the eye, so it can see things very much like an eye does. In particular it is the 'entrance pupil' size and location that is important. It is also very easy with a small security camera or a webcam.

The other experiment:
Chris has already given a very good answer. The technique of projecting the focusing screen onto the subject is used in some reprographic machines - it makes precise framing and focusing easier and faster.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back