How!!!???

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been practicing Photoshop till my eyes are Crossed and I still have no clue on how somethings are done. This guy, to me, is amazing. How does he get that look to his photos? Is it a plug-in?
Kissing Tree Studio - Home
It's some kind of hdr, paint... I have no clue.. but I want to learn it but where do you learn this at???

Tone mapping. I'll go whip up and example and post it.

Joe

And yes, I emailed the photographer and have not gotten a reply. But it seems to me, that most keep their PP a secret.
I have searched YouTube and can find nothing.

Joe
Thank you..THANK YOU.. Photoshop is an endless tool with a gigantic learning curve.

Joe
Thank you..THANK YOU.. Photoshop is an endless tool with a gigantic learning curve.

tone-mapped.jpg

OK, but if you really want to get involved in this kind of manipulation purchase of an inexpensive tone mapping app might serve you better than Photoshop alone. Photo above on left is normal processed. On the right I took the same photo and put it in Oloneo and clicked a pre-set -- that's just a one click and run. It can be finessed from there to what you want but that shows the type of process that's being applied. Under the Image/Adjustments menu PS has HDR toning and Shadow/Highlights controls which will let you move in that direction but they are crude compared to an app designed to do that job.

This goes hand in hand with HDR and your instinct in that regard was correct. Once an HDR image is created it's basically pretty worthless unless it's tone mapped to a normal distribution. Tone mapping pushed creates the kind of effects you saw in that linked work. The photog you linked is getting much more involved and combining tone mapping effects and masking to limit the tone mapping to local areas. In other words what I did to the whole photo above but blended and restricted with masking.

Joe

HDR. Do you have the actions and presets I sent you. Try playing with them. Also in LR look at the split toning option for Highlights and Shadows.

you're probably too good at photoshop is the problem...

read heavily into that.

read heavily into that.
I experienced that when I was trying to paint my dining room "mottled". Since I am a good painter, I had a very difficult time trying to make it look uneven. Wifey was at my elbow, ready with the "stop now" command. Otherwise it would have been all even and such.

It's OK for those that like massively altered, surreal, cartoonish post processing of a photograph.

You sure you didn't hold back some? :biggrin:

read heavily into that.
You don't like his work?

not in the slightest. some of it is neat (dogs, snowman), but the grade school kid processing on the shots like the santa ones, or the barbie doll smoothing of the shot with the two women... give me a break.

It also looks like a combination of normal subject with a painted background. Hope you don't mind, I tried on one of your images:

Evertking Wife Daughter Trial.jpg

It's OK for those that like massively altered, surreal, cartoonish post processing of a photograph.

Can you tell us how you really feel about his work?

I think it is a rather heavy-handed way of conveying a sense of an idealized,caricature-like world, and yet it is also an illustration-like bending of photography to a new, modern-era way of communicating through photography. One can heap pejoratives on this style all day long, but that only tends to reveal a narrow-minded way of viewing what "photography" is. And, are these even photographs? Or are they digital images? Photography has long been about creating a permanent, fixed image held in an emulsion, whereas digital images have NO permanent form, and are infinitely malleable.

Oh my god! Surrealism! Salvador Dali must have been a crap artist, right?

Altered reality! WTF!!! Ansel Adams and BLACK skies! O_M_G!

I remember the people who called The Beatles "hippies"...

I remember the people who called The Beatles "hippies"...

Yes, so what's your point they were LOL

I have to agree with Darrel even when you had access to a darkroom there was a limit to what you could do post. The transition from film to digital was difficult for me until I started thinking of a digital file not as an image but as a source of data, that could be transformed into anything I wanted it to be.

The boundaries have been forever changed, we have to learn to view an image on more than just it's technical aspects. They've become compositions (works of art) as the photographer has learned to cross over into the realm of digital artists. To many times it seems that the "purists" ( those that still hold to the notion of one shot, one image) fail to appreciate the art simply because it is heavily processed and not SOOC. Nothing wrong with having preferences in what we do but we shouldn't put on blinders that limit creativity. There's a whole new world to explore out there in post processing.

Most reactions

Back