Huge price difference? -is this site any good

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been researching different lenses. I came across this site which is selling the lens at 1/2 price.

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM - B&H -$979 Amazon -$972 Oreg - $500

Is this site (Oreg), a legitimate site? Or will I be taken for a ride

I am sure something is wrong over there. It cost less than the older non-IS 100mm. :)

What is the domain name of the site?

oregs.com domain registration information are all hidden (private). It means the owners of the domain name do not want other people know who own the domain name.

The domain name was created on Feb 6th 2010. Which is less than 1 month old. In that case, you may not find any records on how good/legit this company is.

Reversed lookup shows the site maybe hosted by colostore.com in Indiana. And the owner of that small IP block is Dmitriy Shapiro with email of [email protected]

From the address taken from the contact page, "1164 Denny Way Seattle, WA 98109". It seems to be a apartment building or something like that.

I do not think I will take the risk and buy stuff from them....

Dao
Wow! thanks for the effort, I really appreciate the time you spent doing that.

I guess this may fall into the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it is"

Thanks again

Perhaps they are switching it out with the older non-L, non-IS version.

pbelarge, when I try to open that link it crashes my browser, lol.

Also, after reading a few posts today I've decided that Dao is one of the most helpful people in these forums.

Did sound like a nice deal, everyone says that's an awesome macro lens.

pbelarge, when I try to open that link it crashes my browser, lol.

Also, after reading a few posts today I've decided that Dao is one of the most helpful people in these forums.

Did sound like a nice deal, everyone says that's an awesome macro lens.

Thanks ...You know, we all need to start somewhere. And I was a noob before when I first join this community and learn a lot from the members here. We DO have a lot of good members in TPF, don't let few of the bad responses bother you.

I know google can search a lot of information, but a noob may not even know what to search sometimes. As long as this forum is active, new users will ask the same questions again and again.

Ahhhh metadata is so nice. How helpful it is to find out if there is a scam afoot. Keep in mind also that the registered buisness can be found through the local Buis. lic. and Zoning for the various city/state. If in doubt, check it out... (Sorry had a Johnnie Cochran moment).

If you want to do research on domains yourself you can go to a site like godaddy.com and do a whois search for the name. This will tell you who owns the domain. Then it is a couple of clicks from there. I always cross reference the address in Google earth to see if it a residential address or not.

go to resellerratings.com and search for them there.

I have been researching different lenses. I came across this site which is selling the lens at 1/2 price.

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM - B&H -$979 Amazon -$972 Oreg - $500

Is this site (Oreg), a legitimate site? Or will I be taken for a ride

In today's photography marketplace, dealers are fortunate if a lens makes over 10% markup...dealer margins have been squeezed and cut by the camera makers...so when an on line "company" (ahem! cough-cough) offers something like a newly introduced Canon macro lens at roughly 50% below the price that B&H or Adorama have the product listed for, you can be sure that the company (ahem! cough-cough) is a scam artist outfit.

Many people might think that B&H or Adorama might be making a huge profit, like $400 on a $975 lens sale, but no, the profit margin is hugely lower than that. "If it sounds too good to be true, then it is too good to be true."

oregs.com domain registration information are all hidden (private). It means the owners of the domain name do not want other people know who own the domain name.

The domain name was created on Feb 6th 2010. Which is less than 1 month old. In that case, you may not find any records on how good/legit this company is.

Reversed lookup shows the site maybe hosted by colostore.com in Indiana. And the owner of that small IP block is Dmitriy Shapiro with email of [email protected]

From the address taken from the contact page, "1164 Denny Way Seattle, WA 98109". It seems to be a apartment building or something like that.

I do not think I will take the risk and buy stuff from them....

Seriously creepy haha. How did you find out that much?

Sounds like a bait and switch, if you don't buy the insurance and all then the lens is back ordered, they keep your money as long as they can, agree to refund but it never happens constantly slow stroking. The testimonials appear to be written in the same hand, with a possible delay in shipping, why would someone be happy about a two week shipping time? Don't walk, RUN away from this one. IMHO!

Most reactions

Back