i am just starting......

zander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
photography! I am just wondering if you can give me any advice on good moderatly priced equiptment

thanks
LAex :p :twisted:

First of all, welcome...

What type of photography are you getting into? 35mm, digital, medium or large format???

What's your budget for equipment?

The answers to these questions will help us give you the correct information.

i can spen about 500 bucks on a camera adn it would probably be digital

Still a very broad question you are asking.... I'd also throw out another question: What are your expectations from photography? As a way of to record vacations, family and events or a way to channel the artistic eye.

Can't answer your question but if I had to learn photography all over again, I would have started with a very basic manual 35mm slr. Cheap, simple, basic, and easy way to build fundamentals with out all the distractions. You'll spend way way less than 500 and have enough to buy a flash, bag, and tripod.

jessops are offering Centon camera's for a very good price. I've got a Centon K-100 and I am very pleased with it.

usayit said:
Can't answer your question but if I had to learn photography all over again, I would have started with a very basic manual 35mm slr. Cheap, simple, basic, and easy way to build fundamentals with out all the distractions. You'll spend way way less than 500 and have enough to buy a flash, bag, and tripod.

I have to agree here. If ya gotta start from scratch then do it hardcore. Go manual slr all the way, you can get great deals on ebay for older cameras and get another lense too possible for the 500 you got saved...you'll be a much better photgrapher if you can learn the mechanics and make them second nature and not rely so much on the camera to do all of the work for ya. Not to mention you will not feel so cheap in the morning.
:lol:

My first manual slr was a mamiya/ sekor 1000d. Built like a rock and takes amazing photos. I paid $70 for it. I 've since jumped to medium format film photography and use a completely manual 1950's rolleiflex tlr which i paid about $150 for and have since invested about $200 bucks in accesssories. I've had several photographers offer me much more for my set up. It's my baby and probably wouldn't give it up fer anything...hell i cherish it more than my new digital slr.lol.

Give ebay a good look over and if ya got questions post a link to the item and we'll let ya know what we think. Good Luck. It's gonna be a blast learning the ropes anew.

Just starting out, I would suggest a digital camera that can offer manual options. This way you can take more pictures and see right away why you messed up, instead of spending money on film and developing and waiting to see if you messed up or not.

I was looking up camera's for a friend and the C line of Olympus all seem to have manual options. The Olympus C-740 in particular seems like a good deal. Its something like $320us I think, 3.2mp which is good enough for 4X6's and 8X10's if you enlarge it *it wont be a very sharp image* and a 10X optical zoom. Ignore and never use digital zoom's, thier worthless.

It uses an xD memory card I believe, and you should get at least 128mb's worth, more if you can afford it. I think the 256mb one is around $80us at walmart.

I would also suggest getting either duracell or energizer rechargeable batteries, youll save a small fortune on batteries that way.

And hopefully you have either a cd-rw or dvd-rw since the pictures add up fast. I Have something like 8gb's of pictures from the last 1.75 years, some of which are huge pdf's of images that I was playing with.

Also if you can afford it, a photography class is good to have as well, to teach you how to use it manually and teach you other useful information.

i have looked around and thought of getting a nikon f65 SLR. Is is a good camera?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back