I dont want to sound really stupid but...

roume

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Now here is a very very basic question...
(hi to everyone out there):blushing:

I have been using conventional cameras all my life, but in the past month my ancient samurai x3.0 finally went into a coma and I decided finally to go digital. I regularly use my cell's camera which has a resolution of 1.3 MP and thats just strictly okay by me.I have done a couple of shoots for my friends which have turned out to be really interesting BECAUSE I use Photoshop extensively. I use Photoshop like anything. But x3.0 had 1/2 reel prints that meant no enlargements and very restricted Photoshop-editing.
Anyways, back to my dilemma. I am really keen on getting a digital camera and since I don't really give up on my electronics, I think I will be stuck with it for a good decade, or 5 years if I am really lucky.
I have been doing browsing for sometime and was pretty impressed by the product reviews of Canon Powershot A460, Canon Powershot A550 and Nikon Coolpix 8800, that is until I read their user reviews after which I got really confused.
My technical knowledge about cameras has just expanded with the knowledge of resolutions.
I want something less than USD 300, with excellent resolution, something like 7-8 MP, thats allows me to take perfect close-ups as well as panoramic views( I can compromise on the panoramic view). And I would like to have an SLR- to hold in my hands. I don't really like the ultra slim and compact cameras.
Can anyone suggest the perfect camera for me? Please..I m going to pray real hard for you, that your images turn out even better then you expect them to, and all good things come along your way.
Cheers!
Roume.

One quick question, do you want a camera that fits into your pocket, or is slightly bigger OK?

I would recomend the Nikon D40. I have had it for almaot a year and am EXTREAMLY happy with it. You'll probably want a longer lens though...

Nikon S51 is a nice little camera.

The Canon Elph series are nice as well

If it's a DSLR you want I'd recommend the Pentax K100D Super, I heard that's an excellent camera for relatively cheap.

I don't know what I'd recommend if you want it more compact and less expensive.

*sabbath999

A slightly bigger one is perfectly fine. Something that I can feel through my bag and I know that I have not dropped it anywhere. :)

*Applefanboy
A longer lens does what?? better panoramic views? better closeups? I mostly do portraits but i d like to take the camera on trips too. But then, I was surviving with a Samurai too. :)
D40 is worth some 550 USD....:(:(..I am citing USD 300 the maximum I can go for. Anything in that range?

*Stranger
S51 is too small, and most probably I will lose it within first 20 minutes.:(..something a bit larger. All I can tell about the cameras is that whethr I would like holding it or not.:( But yes at USD 275 it does fall within my budget. anything larger??

*RKW3
Pentax K100D Super is USD 500+ too..

Help me, please.

The Pentax K100D (not super)
Is what I have and it's amazing.
It is a beginners camera in the sense
that you don't have ultimate professional control.

I think I paid 349 plus 109 for the 18-55mm lens at B&H.
It may even be cheaper now that the k200d and ULTIMATE K20D
came out.

Macro really depends on the lens when dealing with SLR
but here is one anyway. (NOT BY ME)....

Photo By: Stephen C. Gushue

64697924.PPwiMKqJ.IMGP6269copy2.jpg

i can recomened the canon S5IS i had that camera and was realy great , it's a p&s but it's a "bridge" camera, you have all the main features of a dlsr but the lens is fix and cannot be changed , also the focus can;t be done like a real lens... other than that it's great and cheap (or should i say accessible?) ahha
it's around 315$
god bless you!

Canon A712 IS

Roume, you will find that people on the internet are like car salesmen. You state you have $300 to spend and they will all recommend something for $500+ :D

Most here have digital SLR cameras, which are expensive. That is what they will recommend. Nearly all dSLR cameras take higher quality shots than the cheaper point and shoot or advanced cameras. That's why they are more expensive.

I have a Fuji S700/S5700. I am quite happy with it, but it is limited in what you can do if you are looking at the artistic side of photography. There are better advanced cameras than what I have though I'm sure. I paid $200 for mine. Had I asked before I purchased stating that I had $200 to spend, I'm sure I would get the same responses of $400-500 recommended.

The Canon G series seems to be pretty popular in the non-dSLR category. Read up on the many different cameras at the following....

www.dpreview.com
www.steves-digicams.com

Both pretty good sites for comparing cameras.

A DSLR for $300 USD? In all honesty, unless you buy used, I don't think you'll find one. My advanced point and shoot (Sony DSC-H2) cost me $200, and I bought it used.

Canon A712 IS

I've never heard of an A712. Perhaps you meant the Canon A720 IS?

The A720 is a good possibility, it has image quality as good as the most expensive Canon compacts, full manual controls, 35-210mm equivalent lens, and it's selling for under $200. Because it runs on two AA batteries, flash recycle times are slow (5-8 sec), but it has a good on-board flash and more control over the flash than just about any point & shoot camera.

I say get the Pentax K100D (not super). It is actually about $450 if you spend a minute looking on google and will be good for you to grow into. It maybe rather big (it's an SLR) and more expensive but it makes my Canon Powershot look like crap in image quality. It's well worth the extra $150 above your budget. Also, don't worry about megapixels; in reality, LESS is BETTER!

If you are still stubborn to get a P&S, get the Powershot A460 for $130. It's cheap, nice-looking and has reasonable IQ.

Update: mrodgers is recommending the canon powershot G series. Don't get them; they cost $500+ (MORE THAN A SLR!!!) but have inferior IQ compared to the $130 A460 because they have too many megapixels, too much noise and too much noise reduction to make up for that.

Update: mrodgers is recommending the canon powershot G series. Don't get them; they cost $500+ (MORE THAN A SLR!!!) but have inferior IQ compared to the $130 A460 because they have too many megapixels, too much noise and too much noise reduction to make up for that.
Ah, glad you mentioned that here. I have no idea on the G series and what it costs. Just recall seeing the G5 or something recommended around here frequently.

A good, non DSLR camera, is the Canon PowerShot S5 IS.

I don't own one (a friend does), so I don't have much info for you...

I suggest you google it :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back