I Finally Shot a Person with the Profoto B2's I Won :)

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Said 'yes' to photographing a friend many many months ago--she's always loved the sunflowers at Buttonwoods, so today we finally got together and shot at Buttonwoods. Here are my two favorites :) I'm still working/editing the ones with the sunflowers in them...

Profoto B2, 2' Octa, 50' grid.

_RSP6060 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

_RSP6080 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

Nice! A couple of minor nits; I think the highlights are just a tad hot in #1, and you might want to remove that tendril creeping above shoulder. #2 has gorgeous light, but I wish you hadn't cropped Rover's paws off. That's my kind of natural light!

Beautiful lighting here!!! Vibrant portraits dont seem to be very trendy right now, but I wish they were!

I like the four diagonal lines (three boards and horizon) converging like perspective lines in the first image. Very dynamic.

Nice! A couple of minor nits; I think the highlights are just a tad hot in #1, and you might want to remove that tendril creeping above shoulder. #2 has gorgeous light, but I wish you hadn't cropped Rover's paws off. That's my kind of natural light!

Thanks!! I agree about the tendril. These were "quick" edits, and I'll re do them and touch some of those things up for the final delivery. I know!! I have a few shots where I didn't clip his paw but the pup didn't "kiss" her again like this. Maybe I can composite something together?

And yes, the light from those B2's is incredible. I've never felt like I've had so much control over the light in a scene. And my assistant LOVED how lightweight they are.

Cheers!
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice

Some minor issues Note the hard shadows, the flesh bulge and the 'football' shoulders.

shadows.jpg

I don't think this is framed ideally; there is either lots of empty pace in a 2:3 or clipping in a 4:5
She looks like she has very well developed biceps.
If this is indeed just a bit of excess flesh, asking her to move her elbow away so her arm doesn't press her side will allow a better contours.

bicep.jpg

Beautiful lighting here!!! Vibrant portraits dont seem to be very trendy right now, but I wish they were!

Glad you like them!! I'm all about vibrant portraits [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really nice ... I'm wondering a little about about the lighting ... Did you do this in deep shade, like a thick tree, then meter the flash to get the subject about the same EV as the background?

To me they look almost photoshopped onto the background. It's just my opinion but I think that the best results are when you can't tell that a flash was used. Just enough fill light to enhance the subject but not so much that it's noticeable. I liken it to a woman wearing makeup. She looks best when you can't tell she's wearing any.

..she's always loved the sunflowers at Buttonwoods..
Very nice color rendering here! The light fall-off in #2 is detracting from an otherwise successful shot.

If the fence was lit better, shadows lifted a bit, and the sky brighted, you wouldn't feel that way.

19994847259_5f6938e13f_k.jpg

I quickly did this in Polarr Online Editor.

The shadows are wayyy too deep, coupled with being obviously shot opposite of the sun. It looks unnatural as the light sources are competing and hence why you would think composite.

everything also seems underexposed to me by about a stop as well--should be bright and aiiry.

Attachments

• 19560567303_9cfbc9bd80_k.jpg
    19560567303_9cfbc9bd80_k.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Nice start Jake. Just a suggestion, since she is a friend, I'd shoot her until she was sick of standing in front of the camera.

I just noticed one really picky thing. In #1 the left hand could have been turned to show the side of the hand a tad bit more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back