I guess scans don't work too good!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dubie, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I got all excited and wanted to scan some of my first photos for critique but this scanning thing sucks! I got a HP photosmart C5180 and it doesn't do my B&W's justice.

So I guess most places that develop film can put the negatives on CD I hear. Does it matter where or can your local drug store do that while developing?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some scanners are better than others. The best ones scan the actual film, not the prints. It still takes a good technique and probably some post processing to get a scanned image to look right.

Just about all photo labs are digital now. This means that the machine scans the film and makes the prints from digital files. If you want a CD, they just burn those digital files onto a disc for you....it's very easy.

3. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Mike. That's what I'll do so I can post photos.:wink:

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you have the option of film scanning at home? We have a reasonably new Canon scanner and comparing scanning a print to a negative the negative scan is insanely better.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Local photo labs that perform scans to CD do so at different "qualities". If you don't explicitely ask for high professional quality, you will get scans that are relatively low in resolution. This service was geared to get people digital copies for personal distro to friends/families via internet. Of course the professional scans will cost quite a bit more.

I'd submit samples before dumping a large important order...just to see their final quality. I scan at home and produce results that beat most local photo labs in my area.