Worth it to pay extra for enhanced scans?

hooray4mo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using TheDarkroom.com to develop and scan my film for a few years now. I was wondering if its worth it to pay the 3 extra dollars for enhanced scans?
I just recently got into medium format photography, and the regular scans (in my opinion) look perfectly fine. So do the 35mm scans.
Anyone have any side by side comparisons of what a regular scan looks like and an enhanced scan?

If the current scan works for you just stick with it or get a 1 roll done with the bigger scan to compare.

The lab I work at here in St. Louis has several different scan options. Our standard scan, 2000 res is good enough to make a 16x24 un-cropped from a 35mm neg. Next is a 4000 res good for larger size prints or extreme crops. Then we offer a very large scans for pros or prints the size of a billboard.

If the current scan works for you just stick with it or get a 1 roll done with the bigger scan to compare.

The lab I work at here in St. Louis has several different scan options. Our standard scan, 2000 res is good enough to make a 16x24 un-cropped from a 35mm neg. Next is a 4000 res good for larger size prints or extreme crops. Then we offer a very large scans for pros or prints the size of a billboard.
Thanks for the insight =)
I just sent out 4 rolls of 120 today to be developed and scanned, and just stuck with regular scans.
From my understanding, one can still get negatives to be "re-scanned" with the better resolution scanners, yes? That way in the future, if I decide the regular scans aren't cutting it for me, and I want better images, I can send them in?

From my understanding, one can still get negatives to be "re-scanned" with the better resolution scanners, yes? That way in the future, if I decide the regular scans aren't cutting it for me, and I want better images, I can send them in?
For sure. I scan my color print film here at work at 2000 res. Then if I need a bigger scan I do a pro scan and yield a 4000 res 16-bit tiff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back