i have a question about my lens making my camera have an error signal

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
why am i getting error on my nikon d500 when i use Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 D lens.. is this lens not compatible with my camera or could there be a problem with the lens.. it is in great condition.. so i don't understand what the problem could be.. thanks in advance.. here are a couple of photos of the lens

Attachments

• _DSC7184.JPG
    _DSC7184.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • _DSC7192.JPG
    _DSC7192.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Are you stopping the aperture all the way down to f/22? You need to do this, plus lock it in that position, and use the camera body to change the aperture.

Are you stopping the aperture all the way down to f/22? You need to do this, plus lock it in that position, and use the camera body to change the aperture.
oh so this lens needs this setting... wow never would have thought of this...thank you...

It's not a 'setting'... it's the way Nikon designed their digital cameras to accept older lenses with aperture rings.

You set the lens to the minimum, lock it in place (so you can't accidentally move the ring) and use the camera body's controls to set the aperture. The camera will mechanically hold the lens open to maximum aperture so you have a bright viewfinder to focus and compose. When you press the shutter button, the lens will be allowed to close to the chosen aperture, the shutter opens/closes, then the aperture blades are opened back up again.

It's not a 'setting'... it's the way Nikon designed their digital cameras to accept older lenses with aperture rings.

You set the lens to the minimum, lock it in place (so you can't accidentally move the ring) and use the camera body's controls to set the aperture. The camera will mechanically hold the lens open to maximum aperture so you have a bright viewfinder to focus and compose. When you press the shutter button, the lens will be allowed to close to the chosen aperture, the shutter opens/closes, then the aperture blades are opened back up again.
thank you so much,, will try later today..

I've gotten this error before too. Just stop it all the way down and flip the little switch that locks the lens in the fully stopped down position and you should be good to go.

I believe most Nikons offer a menu option to control the aperture from the camera or lens.

I believe most Nikons offer a menu option to control the aperture from the camera or lens.

That's news to me and my 20-year-old Nikon gear.

It wasn't a thing back then.
It goes back about 10 years farther - with the F5 one has the option of using the lens' aperture ring or the camera's sub-command dial to set the aperture. I guess it's not possible with digitals

Custom setting #22 on my F5. I use it with chipped manual focus Ai lens fitted. Ai lenses are not linear when the camera makes the choice leading to incorrect exposure.

Most reactions

Back