I have a question about Slides...

cheezit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK i know this particular forum is about equiptment AND services and i need some info on some services.

Most colleges want a portfolio via 35mm slides. I think it's kinda strange that they want pictures of my pictures when i would gladly send them a disc. but thats how they want em.

What is the best way to do this, i have heard that some places will do it for you but its kind of expensive.

Anyone know a good place to get pictures of their pictures??

I'm not sure I would want to go to a college that wouldn't accept digital images.

Sorry, I have no idea where you can get digital images put onto slides.

Alternatively, if you'd like to do it yourself, check eBay for a Polaroid ProPalette. It prints digital images onto slides (up to 4x5 for the expensive models!). You can get one that will print onto 35mm slides, and the req'd RasterPlus software for less than $150 in most cases, and often far cheaper.

Big mike, you wouldn't want to go to the Art institute of chicago?? or New york school of visual arts?

it seems strange but thats how they want the scholarship portfolios. The acceptance portfolios can be sent however you want them, originals, digital, or slides. I think they're just trying to make more work for high school seniors, like it isn't enough work trying to apply to schools and what not already.

Well, it depends.

On one hand, when schools want their students to use 'old school' practices like that...it makes me think that they are run by a bunch of old fogies who are not in touch with the mainstream. They teach what they were taught...30, 40, 50 years ago...and that is just not representative of the current job market...which I would assume is very important to current and prospective students.

For example, my post secondary education was in Drafting and Design. When I was in school, about 10 years ago, a lot of the work was still manual drafting...with just a little bit of computer drafting. However, 95% of the jobs, are computer based. Our education would have been more valuable with less 'old school' and more 'new school'.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for learning things the 'old school' way. It give you a deeper understanding of the process. Maybe these art schools just want to see if you are capable of doing something that isn't very common.

I do agree you should have some trepidation attending a school that would only accept your images in an "old school" format. You really need to look long and hard at whatever school you plan to attend especially if they ask for slides. Check the curriculum, the professors, and the facilities. I think you will be very poorly served by any institution that is not on the cutting edge as far as technology. In the digital age or even earlier with film the technology moves too fast to be educated in one way and have the technology pas you by while you are in school.

My opinion on this is that these schools/colleges want to see if a person can expose and compose well enough in camera to be a worthwhile student, here in the UK I would be very surprised to find a college that dealt only with the digital format, a photography degree on this side of the pond encompasses all photography, beginning with B/W shooting/dev/printing, photoshop & digital, color film and hand printing, also LF and MF working, with the final year or two concentrating on the art side. Photography isn't all about digital yet folks, your schools are trying to give you a decent grounding in this trade. H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back