I hope this doesnt happen in the US

This is what I don't get ... why do authorities think that a photographer is a terrorist? How many photogs have blown themselves up in a marketplace. How many photogs have highjacked an airplane?

If one is to "profile" a terrorist ... where is photographer on that list of terrorist characteristics?

Can you imagine the hell you will go through if you are Muslim and a photog?

Gary

I work in London and travel on the Underground regularly. I haven't seen this poster yet, but given the way Londoners largely ignore each other and everything around them (at least that's how the commuters behave) I doubt that many photographers will find themselves being questioned as a result of a member of the public reporting their suspicions. Unless of course, you stop someone and ask them to hold your AK47 while you focus the camera (and even then, Londoners won't stop, just keep walking, don't make eye contact...).

It's actually far more likely that you will be spotted on the extensive network of CCTV (there are over 10,000 TV cameras in London alone and a typical commuter might be 'observed' over a hundred times on their way to work, according to a report I saw). Also, we now have Community Support Officers to assist the police, and the UK photography press has had a number of reports in recent months of people being stopped by them. I'd rather be questioned by the police to be honest - at least they know the law, which the CSOs generally don't. It looks like becoming a real pain in the a**e.

Thousands of people enter homes through windows every day. Should you call the police when you see someone entering a home through a window? Well, it depends but sometimes, sure. What would make you suspicious of someone taking pictures? Anything. How about a man with a very nice camera and no other equipment taking photos of children on a school playground or at a city swimming pool? Would that make you wonder? How about someone taking photos of the employees of a bank as they come to work? Would you wonder what he was doing?

If someone were taking photos of just the four CCTV cameras viewing a subway platform would you think that was unusual, even for a photographer?

I was in an alley at 3 a.m. taking photos and a police car came down the alley and the police officer asked me for identification and asked me what I was doing. I explained. He was satisfied and we chatted a bit about cameras and photography and he left. I thought it was perfectly appropriate. A friend of mine saw someone climbing through a window, called the police, and a burglar wanted in two states was caught. I thought that was appropriate, too. I've carried my camera in airports with no one questioning me and the only times I've been asked to not take pictures were in private businesses.

This is what I don't get ... why do authorities think that a photographer is a terrorist?

Well, there is all this talk about muslin in the portrait section of photo forums...

Can you imagine the hell you will go through if you are Muslin and a photog?

see? ;)

The funny thing about paranoia and fear....

Free people in a state of fear and paranoia will give up their freedoms in hopes to free themselves of that state of fear and paranoia.

In the end... they are still paranoid and no longer free.

Let me remind everyone that political debate or comments are not allowed on the forum.

The original topic of this thread is certainly an issue for photographers so it's valid but it does have political undertones.

Let's try to keep it to the issue at hand and keep the political opinions out.

Thanks.

There was a record from the STASI that made public that I read in an article, a record of deceased old couple. The man's wife for 50 years was a STASI implanted agent. She married him as part of the job instruction to gather information of her husband activity to the STASI top brass - for 50 years!. He died without knowing that she married him for the sake of superior officers. He slept with a robot.
Oh please, you're talking out of your butt. There wasn't even a DDR for 50 years, never mind a Stasi.

This is what I don't get ... why do authorities think that a photographer is a terrorist? How many photogs have blown themselves up in a marketplace. How many photogs have highjacked an airplane?

If one is to "profile" a terrorist ... where is photographer on that list of terrorist characteristics?

Gary

I read that the NYPD once stopped people taking pics of the Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridge, because it looked suspicious. Turned out they were planning some sort of attack.
I'm not saying these accounts justify posters like the one that started this thread (certainly not), but my example is what authorities think of when they come up with these ads. Unfortunately.
Like I said, this is a big issue in NYC and there are a lot of people here being harassed just for taking pictures. Luckily I'm not one of them (yet).

pascal

Oh god, I can imagine in 10 years, photographers being tackled down by security guards and police all over the place.

Check out how the State of Michigan regards street photographers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that the NYPD once stopped people taking pics of the Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridge, because it looked suspicious. Turned out they were planning some sort of attack.
I'm not saying these accounts justify posters like the one that started this thread (certainly not), but my example is what authorities think of when they come up with these ads. Unfortunately.
Like I said, this is a big issue in NYC and there are a lot of people here being harassed just for taking pictures. Luckily I'm not one of them (yet).

pascal

Id like to see some sort of news agency documentation on that one.
I still feel unless the public is made aware of these and they are documented we don't know if they are just telling us stories to keep us in line. I dont feel a terrorist is that stupid. Maybye im wrong and there is a good account, I didnt see it anywhere.

I posted my previous comment based on what I thought I remembered when I was reading about this issue a while ago.

This is the story:

NY Times

pascal

Most reactions

Back