I just got some amazing news, but I need some advice from industry professionals.

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moved to NYC six days ago on a leap of faith, and doors have been opening for me as soon as I got here. This place is insanely fast paced. I met a photographer who really likes my work and gave me a great contact to get an internship with a highly renowned fashion photographer. They are expecting an email from me, and I want to make sure that it is perfect. I will be their slave, I don't care; having this reference on my resume is huge, and really important to me. Has anyone else been in this position, and gotten the internship? What would you recommend I say in the email? I know to keep it short because no one here has time to read a long email. What else should I be thinking about? How much of my work should I show them? Do I need to include my portfolio for an internship? Any advice is helpful. :hail:

First of all, congratulations! Second: Does it HAVE to be an e-mail, or is a telephone call, or better yet, face-to-face meeting possible? I'm a firm believer that the more personal contact you can have, the better.

Assuming that it will have to be e-mail, I would keep it brief,

"Hello, my name is Dan O and I am writing to introduce myself. I was referred to you by <Name> for a potential internship with your firm/company/studio. Please find attached samples of my recent work (my on-line portfolio can be viewed at www.dansttuff.com) for your review. I am available for a meeting or interview at your convenience.
Thank-you in advance for your consideration,
Dan O.
Borough/NYC
Tel #
website"

I would attach two or three images maximum, medium quality, and of course your VERY BEST work, of a style that is appropriate (In other words, if this is Vogue, don't send them half-nake goth chicks).

best of luck
there is no secret why people call New York 'The City', it's like no other.

I will be in Manhattan the weekend of Nov 3 and, if you have time, we could meet for a meal in Little India or thereabouts.

Just make up to show up like most your models... with beard and without clothes. they'll like your spunk.

100% you want to include your work - as said a few select choice examples (either as an email attachment or direct links to your portfolio online) combined with a link to your general portfolio (if possible have one that just shows your good work; rather than a generalist one that shows all your good, bad, rubbish and lolcat photos). Even if they've not asked for it you want to include it; its what the job is all about after all. Recently attended a job interview myself (didn't get the job :( ) and during the chat one thing that came up was the first way they removed any submissions before interview was by removing any that didn't have any display of their work.

Did they ask for photos and/or a portfolio/website? I'm more familiar with sports/events but hardly a fulltime working pro; seems like in that field they'll typically want to see what someone can do in a relatively small sampling of a person's best work.

You seem to be able to write well enough so it might be a matter of making sure you edit/proofread so you get your point across in a professional way. For an internship might they want to know what you could bring to their business? I think you have talent, it seems to be a matter of that coming thru.

Are you familiar with PDN (Photo District News)? if not might be worth a look. Good luck!

I'm not the least bit surprised. ;) Your work is awesome!

Keep the email short, to just a few sentences and let them know you are ready to work, anytime, anywhere. Is this email to set up an interview? "Please let me know how best I can accommodate your schedule, so we might meet soon. I am including a link to my online portfolio but will be glad to bring one if you'd prefer." (Assuming you have something prepared.)

No one can really advise you; it's gotta come from your gut. :) But I know you will kick ass! Congrats!!

I would also think about including a blurb about what you believe you bring to the table. You don't even have to be specific. It could be something as simple as "I look forward to discussing how I can help your company/firm/etc." People like to know that there's something in it for them...

No advice from me, I'm taking note of everyone's suggestions too ;) I wanted to say congrats!! Enjoy!! Can't wait to watch your journey though this new opportunity :)

Thanks for all of the great help and support. I'm waiting for heir response very anxiously.

Thanks for all of the great help and support. I'm waiting for heir response very anxiously.
Good luck Dan. You certainly have a lot to offer.

Good luck Dan, you will make it. Do not forget us when you are famous ;)

Haha I doubt fame is in my future, but I appreciate the optimism!

Congrats, dawg!

I am no industry guy, but I would suggest selecting work that's both among your best AND leaning a little toward the "non-standard". I've seen you shoot some really out-there stuff, which I would not send in, and i've seen you shoot some pretty ordinary stuff. Pick some middle path, that shows that you have ideas, but that you're not a lunatic.

Not sure it matters, in fact. Presumably you'll be carrying **** around and setting stuff up. You might spend a sentence or a phrase on whatever it was you were doing in Alaska (which was, presumably, toting **** from A to B and working long hours in horrendous conditions, since that's pretty much the deal in AK?). They'll want a guy who's OK toting light stands around at absurd hours of the night, and who will bloody well show up on time, even when it's 4 hours after the last shoot wrapped up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back