I need a good professional powerful laptop

NYSTalents

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a good professional powerful laptop 15" widescreen and up, 3GB with up upgrade and a fast processor, I would love a MacBook that would be appropriate for me has photographer but, I never work with an apple computer. I need a good Laptop PC Windows as far I can operate this my mainly Software's:

- AOL Software
- Microsoft FrontPage
- Outlook Express 6
- CuteFTP
- Adobe Photoshop CS
- Nikon Camera Control Pro 2.0 Software

and much more relate to my photography's business.

Any suggestions will be appreciate, thank you,

Salvatore
347-576-9952
[email protected]

Really with what you are wanting to run you don't need a "powerful" laptop. I would go to the store and talk to the people there find something that you like and pretty much everything out there right now will meet the standards to run those programs.

Sounds like you need a MacBook...

What zion said.

Do you need a laptop because your business requires it?

just a thought - why not spend whatever you are paying on a desktop, use the money you save on the pc and get a better monitor. I payed 1900 for my laptop and the screen is crappy to work with pictures. I could have spent 900 on the pc and another 500 on an amazing monitor. It wouldnt have been a Lacie but it would definately have done the trick better than my laptop screen. Bigger too

The best laptop I have used was the ASUS G50 you can pick one up at bestbuy for around $1200. I am probably going to pick me up one this month. link

I have an HP Pavilion DV6500 and I use it for all my photography work. It has a 15" wide screen that is glossy, not matte like most laptops. You can configure one to your tastes on the HP Home site. I bought mine for about $1000 and have been very satisfied with it.

Didnt we just cover this like 2 days ago???

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134502

First I want to ask all the people who responded to this question why they responded if they know nothing about computers???? If you dont know.. then keep your mouth shut. I mean seriously.. what kind of answer is .. "Sounds like you need a MacBook..." I mean really.... WHY does he need a MacBook... You sure as heck dont know why because HE/SHE doesnt even know why..

nystalents.. I hate to be rude to anyone on this forum.. but this forum really is not the right place to ask this kind of question.. MOST People who answer have NO FREAKING clue about computers and it always ends up in a MAC vs PC debate..

I'm all for MACs, but they are expensive and do not like to play well with others.. very proprietary, and not to mention.. my PC can out perform one at less then half the cost.. Thus I am PC guy, but a very picky PC guy since I have been a hardware computer tech for the past 12 years. Do yourself a favor and ask why you are wanting a powerful laptop.
I can tell you that you do not want a laptop at all to do any sort of editing..

they are not that reliable because they are mobile and the hard drives can crash on you at any time..

they are expensive to repair

they overheat because they are so compact

If you do buy one.. Get the best extended warranty plan they offer.. and if it were me I'd buy a toshiba or a lenovo.
Also if you buy one be preparied to spend about 2 grand..

I built my desktop for about 1200 and it will still run circles around any laptop you put against it.. I can go on and on about this subject from experience.. I am a computer technician that is a photographer.. not a photographer that knows a little about computers.

I would not buy a prebuilt PC either..
Why?
because all prebuilt PCs.. like MACs.. are getting more and more proprietary.. as well as they are built using parts that are bought by a company that bought them from the lowest bidder.. thats why they have to sell you a service plan with the PC.. so if it breaks they can fix it..
I suggest that if you decide you do not want a laptop and you decide to go with a desktop that you check around at some of the local computer shops and have them build you one..
WHY?
well it will most likley be built with quality parts..
I'm sure they will let you choose XP instead of vista.. and if you really like the UNIX OS that MAC uses then you can always install a flavor of UNIX on it instead of windows.
I will also suggest not to get a huge hard drive.. If you do loose a hard drive it is a heck of a lot harder and takes sooo much more time to try and recover all the info than that off a smaller drive.. say anything <500 GB.
Also stay away from the external drives.. hard drives are not meant to be mobile.. thats how they crash and develop bad sectors.. most of my experience from data recovery has been from external drives and laptop drives..
I just recovered our photographers 1TB external harderive that had our engagement photos on it along with several other wedding she had done..it had been knocked over while it was on.. it took me a week to recover everything.. she was lucky.. I saved her about 5 grand.

anyway.. do your research and ask KNOWLEGABLE people.. people that know about computers. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Didnt we just cover this like 2 days ago???

Strap yourself in, Mr. "Been here since April", cuz we're gonna answer it at least a thousand times more. :lol:

I mean no disrespect... I'm just funnin'.

This is the one issue I have with this forum... we don't sticky stuff. I understand that the moderators don't sticky it because it's fraught with opinions and not factual, but it causes us to rehash the same issues a lot.

I say this knowing full well that SEVERAL of my posts were probably rehashing old issues. (like the color management stuff)

We all do it.

You need a macbook. My pro has served me well for 3 years now. I've dropped it multiple times and never had anything break on it. The casing is scratched and dented, the screen is dusty, but it's still cranking out the power I need to blast those muther ****ers away in counterstrike... I mean edit photos and do my homework.

Seriously though, if you get a macbook, you can install windows XP for work, and then have the mac for your editing and multimedia stuff. Best of both worlds! If you have the money to spend it shouldn't even be an issue. If you're strapped for cash I suggest looking at an ACER or something.

First I want to ask all the people who responded to this question why they responded if they know nothing about computers???? If you dont know.. then keep your mouth shut. I mean seriously.. what kind of answer is .. "Sounds like you need a MacBook..." I mean really.... WHY does he need a MacBook... You sure as heck dont know why because HE/SHE doesnt even know why..

First off i think you should come down there buddy. Second of all just because you're in the computer industry what makes you so much smarter than everyone else. I build computers all the time and sure that would be a smarter choice here but he's asking about laptops not about desktops. For some reason he needs something that is portable and really with the programs he is looking to run the average laptop will do just fine. If you're so knowledgeable about computers why are you trying to get him to go overboard buying a huge, expensive computer that he is never going to use to the full potential. Just like all these new people going and buying out all these cameras that are way too much for them thinking the camera is what makes the photographer. If he doesn't know what is limiting him on a computer it's probably because it's not limiting him therefore he doesn't the most advanced computer out there. That is why I told him to go to the store and look around and talk to people there. He can find laptops there that will do him just fine and he wont have to spend that much money.

First off i think you should come down there buddy. Second of all just because you're in the computer industry what makes you so much smarter than everyone else. I build computers all the time and sure that would be a smarter choice here but he's asking about laptops not about desktops. For some reason he needs something that is portable and really with the programs he is looking to run the average laptop will do just fine. If you're so knowledgeable about computers why are you trying to get him to go overboard buying a huge, expensive computer that he is never going to use to the full potential. Just like all these new people going and buying out all these cameras that are way too much for them thinking the camera is what makes the photographer. If he doesn't know what is limiting him on a computer it's probably because it's not limiting him therefore he doesn't the most advanced computer out there. That is why I told him to go to the store and look around and talk to people there. He can find laptops there that will do him just fine and he wont have to spend that much money.

First.. I wasnt poking at you.. but since you insist and actually showed that you really dont know much Ill poke at you.

Any computer technician will tell you that you dont want to buy a bottom of the line laptop because they are crap, as well as you dont want to buy the top of the line laptop because, lets face it.. the price isnt worth it.. you want to stay in the middle of the road with laptops which is around 1200 or so before taxes.. then you ALWAYS want to get the premium warranty deal on a laptop... add more money.. it usually ends up being around 2 grand.. If he/she is looking at a MAC then they are going to spend quite a bit anyway..

whoever said that they have dropped their macbook and hasnt lost data is very lucky, and also needs to tke better care of thier equipment.. My computer is just as important to me as my camera, and I wouldnt think people drop their cameras that often expecting them to work afterwards. You also dont hear them say.. oh oh.. buy a nikon because ive dropped mine and it works still.. When it comes to laptop hardware weather it be a MAC or a PC the internals are all the same... You can install a MAC OS on a regular PC, I've done it.. I didnt tell him/her to go buy something expensive, nor did I tell them they had to buy a desktop I said IF you decide not to purchase a laptop... .. I told him/her to research it extensively and really think weather or not they really need a laptop. I honestly dont understand needing a laptop to take on photoshoots.. I mean, if you dont think you got the shot.. then shoot again.. and if you cant get the shot.. then maybe you shouldnt be taking photos.

now pull your panties out or your rear and take a chill pill.. :lmao:

First I want to ask all the people who responded to this question why they responded if they know nothing about computers????

nystalents.. I hate to be rude to anyone on this forum.. but this forum really is not the right place to ask this kind of question.

You just answered your own question. Its a two way street and your argument can also be turned around.

Let me make it really simple: The "It sounds like a Mac.." response is a perfectly fine response in a photographic forum. You can't hold it against them nor be angry about it.

Amiga rulz?

There are a lot of people on here who use macs successfully, there are a lot of people on here who use PCs successfully. Either works fine. Get whatever you like best.

A lot of people here reply viceral way to things like "Don't get PCs, they get viruses!" and "Don't get a Mac, they're expensive!" because, really those are examples of uneducated positions upon which to make a $800-3000 purchase, and particularly for those of us in the tech industry because our lives are made very difficult every day by people who make technical choices for uneducated (or emotional) reasons. It further gauls us when the same people then turn around and go "SEE?!?!? IT WORKS!!!"

Well duh.

Of course it works. Thus my original point. They all work pretty well, overall.

Yeah, each has their pros and cons, but they will all do the job.

Me, personally, I don't like Apples business behaviors or condescending posture towards their customers and the technical choices you are forced to make because of that posture. There are also still more titles available for PCs than there are for Macs, though this is way less the issue than it was even a few years ago. Regardless, those are reasons enough for me to stay with PCs at the moment.

First.. I wasnt poking at you.. but since you insist and actually showed that you really dont know much Ill poke at you.

Any computer technician will tell you that you dont want to buy a bottom of the line laptop because they are crap, as well as you dont want to buy the top of the line laptop because, lets face it.. the price isnt worth it.. you want to stay in the middle of the road with laptops which is around 1200 or so before taxes.. then you ALWAYS want to get the premium warranty deal on a laptop... add more money.. it usually ends up being around 2 grand.. If he/she is looking at a MAC then they are going to spend quite a bit anyway..

whoever said that they have dropped their macbook and hasnt lost data is very lucky, and also needs to tke better care of thier equipment.. My computer is just as important to me as my camera, and I wouldnt think people drop their cameras that often expecting them to work afterwards. You also dont hear them say.. oh oh.. buy a nikon because ive dropped mine and it works still.. When it comes to laptop hardware weather it be a MAC or a PC the internals are all the same... You can install a MAC OS on a regular PC, I've done it.. I didnt tell him/her to go buy something expensive, nor did I tell them they had to buy a desktop I said IF you decide not to purchase a laptop... .. I told him/her to research it extensively and really think weather or not they really need a laptop. I honestly dont understand needing a laptop to take on photoshoots.. I mean, if you dont think you got the shot.. then shoot again.. and if you cant get the shot.. then maybe you shouldnt be taking photos.

now pull your panties out or your rear and take a chill pill.. :lmao:

LMAO This is part of his/her research :confused:
Maybe this person realizes some people here actually know something about computers. In addition, although you seem pretty computer intelligent and lack "customer service skills" (you sound harsh towards someone looking for basic info), I don't know how any of us survived the computer world without you. Are you by any chance related to the guy that invented the internet (Al Gore)? :mrgreen:

Also, unless you know anything about computers and computer lingo, doing research for one, knowing how much gigs to get, RAM...etc....and reading all the specs will be like reading Greek. Honestly......cut the layman some slack.

Most reactions

Back