I need a hand-held light meter...

Wow! Thanks Guys! Yea, my main reason for wanting a light meter is b/c I'm experimenting with medium format cameras that don't have built in light meters...and my professors always said that it's a good investment since they give more accurate readings.

Much appreciated!!

A few years ago I bought a Polaris to use with my Bronica ETR. It's been a pretty good unit.

I bought a Polaris incident/flash/reflective meter on ebay for $80. Great investment on a decent meter. Not got all the bells and whistles of the Gossens and minoltas, etc. but more than enough for regular everyday shooting.

I will always recommend Minolta meters. I have had them for years and they are still accurate. I have the auto IV, which was replaced by the auto V. Its a good reliable tough meter. The auto is and incident/reflective the will do corded and non corded flash.

Weston, Sekonic, Minolta, Gosen - all are excellent.
There are cheaper ones that are almost as good.
It just depends upon what you are going to use them for and how much you want to pay.
CdS cell meters (like the Weston) don't work in low light conditions and second-hand ones can go out of calibration.
Battery powered ones (digital and needle-match) are OK as long as the batteries are good. They can work at very low light levels.
I have a Sekonic digital and a Weston Euro. I use the Weston for landscapes as it has a lot of advantages. The Sekonic I used to use in the studio because it does flash too.

Most reactions

Back