I need help cropping!

triggerhappy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I posted this in the share section, but I would like some critique.

I really want to like this photo. I love the way that the water swirls around the black posts at the bottom of the photo. However I find this photo hard to look at. It doesn't seem to sit easily on the eye.

Is there any way that I can crop it to improve the look/feel, or do I need to abandon it? (I should add that I have already cropped it to remove the sky)

original.jpg

Yeah I tried that. Its a definite improvement but still not great. I think I'll have to go back and shoot this one again.

By the way Hertz, are you bored or something? It seems like I bump into you everywhere I turn on this forum today!

Edit: on second thoughts, perhaps you are just looking for Mistress PG's dungeon.

I like the feel of the photo.
I would think the post is a spot to anchor a boat? Maybe a marker for the depth of the water? If so, IMO, it adds to the photo.

DO NOT CROP IT!

Sorry, This photo rocks my world! You have two halves, the top which is mostly negative space and a little speck of a dock or something. And the bottom half, which is waves crashing on a wave breaker. The pier is a leading line to the top half point. The black and white is perfect. The exposure is perfect. The contrast is perfect. I love everything about it.

The second you crop this it'll lose ... something. I wouldn't change a thing.

I wonder how it would look if it were rotated about 45 degrees to the right.

Do you have the original to rotate and then crop out a standard aspect ratio (8x10). Display the subject diagonally.

oh i say don't do anything to it. i like it so much just the way it is, there's just something about it that's really cool.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Picsure: Its a groyne, which is built to stop long-shore drift. The point you refer to is the end of the groyne.

jadin: Thankyou! :oops: I really like your new crop of it. I think that's the one I'll go with.

canonrebel: Good idea but unfortunately this was shot in portrait, so there isn't enough to try the rotation.

Thanks again everyone! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back