I need new lenses

keystervr6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a Nikon D40 a couple months ago as a gift from my wife. She got the kit 18-55m lens, which is great for a kit lens, but I am looking to get a wide angle lens and a longer zoom something in the 55-200mm range lens...

what will work with the D40, because I know only certain lens will work with the autofocus...

what would you recommend i check out?

I got a Nikon D40 a couple months ago as a gift from my wife. She got the kit 18-55m lens, which is great for a kit lens, but I am looking to get a wide angle lens and a longer zoom something in the 55-200mm range lens...

what will work with the D40, because I know only certain lens will work with the autofocus...

what would you recommend i check out?

Hey Keysterv

Check out this thread I posted a wekk or 2 ago.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139069

Hope this helps.

I was looking at the AF-S VR 70-300mm 4.5-5.6G IF-ED, but I think I'm going cheaper and smaller and looking at getting the 50mm 1.8

The Nikkor 70-200 VR F/2.8 is an incredible lens... but be ready to pay over $1500 for it!

As badly as I want that lens, I went with the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6VR for $549 (because I can't afford $1500+) and I love it. It is fast enough for the outdoor sports I shoot (youth soccer) and the image quality is great.

Here are some examples of my first game with the 70-300 lens (still learning how to use it so the pics could be better)

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139718

Any lens with AF-S will work with your D40. If they are just AF (like the current 50mm) then you have to manually focus, but the lens will work.

I had this lens before I returned it and got the 70-300mm VR. It just wasn't long enough for what I shoot. Even the 300 is short on the long end. It's a pretty sharp lens and it's light due to the plastic construction.

If you're looking for wider than 18mm on your D40 you're going to need to get either a Tokina 11-16 or 12-24 or the Sigma 10-20. I really like the push pull manual/auto focus clutch on the Tokinas and they don't have the same CA issues of the Sigma. You're looking in the 500-570 range for the Tokinas and 500 for the Sigma.

Pete

went to the local shop and tried out the 55-200mm VR and really liked it. It felt almost no different in weight than my 18-55 and the image quality was pretty good for the test shots I took in the store.

I could see the difference with the VR on and off at 200mm.

I think this should be enough reach for what i'm looking to shoot.

Now I just need to find a nice wide angle...

Let me know what you think of the lens when you get it Keyster. I'd like to see some pics as well. PM me when you have some posted.

Thanks

My mom has the 55-200 and she likes it. She's ripped off some nice shots with it, too. Can't say too much beyond that.

Obviously a 55-200 isn't going to get you much in the "wide" range, but...

I have the sigma 10-20 on my D40, and I love it.. I would definitely recommend it.

Btw, any Nikon lens with AF-S, and any Sigma lens with HSM will autofocus on your D40. There are great lenses that are manual-only focus on this camera that you might consider, like the Nikon 50mm f1.8 prime (~$100).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back