I need some honest opinions please

ziggy84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$IMAG0797-1.jpg$IMAG0798-1.jpg

This is for my photography class, and I'd like some feedback please. This shooting assignment is based on Design Elements, Surreal/Dream-like, and Documentary/Photojournalism. I need five images that work together as a theme with one from each of the categories listed. These are my first two. How is the composition in these photos? I shot about three rolls of film for this project at an abandoned hotel in California City. I'm planning on going to Bombay Beach on Friday to shoot more. Just wondering if this is good, or if maybe I should keep shooting? Any info helps! Thanks

Matt

well, your pictures of your pictures are out of focus, which makes it hard to gauge too much.

from what I can tell;

1) it's a picture of graffiti with harsh light. That's all it is. There aren't really any compositional elements to it, other than being a picture of graffiti.

2) You have a chain link fence, harsh light and a sign dead center 2/3rds the way up. And some vague buildings in teh background. Again there isn't much to this compositionally.

It's hard to have composition when your pictures aren't really of anything. 99% of non-abstract composition is based on the visual elements' relationship to the subject. These pictures don't really do anything, and thus don't really have a composition.

Thanks Fjrabon. So what would you suggest? Say for example, if I was retaking the first shot, would moving in to fill the frame make that picture better, or more interesting?

ziggy84 said:
Thanks Fjrabon. So what would you suggest? Say for example, if I was retaking the first shot, would moving in to fill the frame make that picture better, or more interesting?

I don't know that it would be better, though perhaps. Moving closer might get it to qualify as documentary.

When taking an image, you have to ask yourself "what am I trying to convey?" It's only after you address that question that composition makes any real sense, as composition is a means for helping convey ideas via visual images.

What were you trying to convey in these pictures? Think about that before you worry about camera angles, lighting, processing or anything else. A picture of nothing will always be a picture of nothing, no matter what you do with your camera and computer.

well, your pictures of your pictures are out of focus, which makes it hard to gauge too much.

Exactly what I was thinking. There is an added hurdle for criticism if we can't see the image clearly.

I shot about three rolls of film for this project at an abandoned hotel in California City. I'm planning on going to Bombay Beach on Friday to shoot more. Just wondering if this is good, or if maybe I should keep shooting? Any info helps! Thanks

Matt
Why don't you make a contact sheets and show us all frames ?

Exactly what I was thinking. There is an added hurdle for criticism if we can't see the image clearly.

Ya, It's an 8mp camera phone that I used to take the pictures of the pictures with. I tried to take another set, but it comes out the same.

So with composition, when you say what are you trying to convey. You lost me. I know what it means, like, why am I taking this picture? I take the shots cause I think they look cool, but usually when I develop the film it doesn't really turn out that way. The idea of it being a good picture is there, but then again, I don't know if it will turn out to be good. What am I missing?

I just want to be as prepared as I can be for this Friday when I take a trip out to Bombay Beach. Thanks for the help

[/QUOTE]Why don't you make a contact sheets and show us all frames ?[/QUOTE]

Hey Timor. Thanks for the help. $IMAG0805-1.jpg$IMAG0806-1.jpg

I have another roll, but didn't make a contact sheet for it yet. What is it I can learn from this shoot?

Ya, It's an 8mp camera phone that I used to take the pictures of the pictures with. I tried to take another set, but it comes out the same.

So with composition, when you say what are you trying to convey. You lost me. I know what it means, like, why am I taking this picture? I take the shots cause I think they look cool, but usually when I develop the film it doesn't really turn out that way. The idea of it being a good picture is there, but then again, I don't know if it will turn out to be good. What am I missing?

Because it looks cool isn't something you try to convey. Looking cool is a result of a good picture. Looking cool isn't, of itself, a good picture. Ask yourself "what is this a picture of?" The answer doesn't have to be a thing in particular, it can be a feeling an abstract idea or even just color contrasts, or any of a million things, but that has question to have an answer. "looking cool" isn't an answer. You have to be able to identify what about it you thought made it look cool, then you can try to figure out how to replicate that in your picture, or, if you're good (or lucky) accentuate it.

What about those scenes made you think they looked cool? If you can't answer that question, you need to figure that out first, then you can figure out how you should photograph it.

Maybe what I'm trying to get across will be made better with an example:

DSC_4643 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

Here's a picture I just made a couple hours ago. What is this a picture of? One answer is 'a computer, a computer speaker and a headphone tube amplifier' but that wouldn't be a good answer, that's not something to convey. Well it is, but this picture does a poor job of conveying those things.

What I was trying to convey is a sort of digital v. analog idea. The idea of more modern technology 'towering over' older technology. Further aiding the effect was the color. The more modern technology, the apple computer, emits a clinical sort of bluish glow that it casts onto the speaker. The older analog technology emits an orange glow that it casts all around. The speaker sort of serves as a dividing line that isn't very clearly on either 'side', hence it's central placement. The apple logo is sort of 'looking down' from above. the tube is sort of vaguely 'looking up' and you can even see the oblique reflection of the apple logo on the tube.

The thought I wanted to convey then suggests the composition, and it suggests how to recompose and improve the shot as well (this was mostly just the first shot, and I'm sort of playing around with the concept in my head before I really make another try at a more 'final' shot).

My point is that your photo has to have substance. It has to be about 'something' other than just looking cool. It doesn't have to be a story, though it can, it doesn't have to be an object, though it can, it just has to be SOMETHING. Then you can from that starting point figure out how you want to compose your photograph in order to bring that out in a way you want.

Thanks for contacts. You shot a lot of staircases, but there are some frames, which put together, just may create a story of "abandonment", if that is your intention. It just may that happened, that you went into that hotel without a clear clue what do you want to extract from that location. Maybe that needs to be define first. Also for your trip to Bombay Beach.

Maybe what I'm trying to get across will be made better with an example:

DSC_4643 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

Here's a picture I just made a couple hours ago. What is this a picture of? One answer is 'a computer, a computer speaker and a headphone tube amplifier' but that wouldn't be a good answer, that's not something to convey. Well it is, but this picture does a poor job of conveying those things.

What I was trying to convey is a sort of digital v. analog idea. The idea of more modern technology 'towering over' older technology. Further aiding the effect was the color. The more modern technology, the apple computer, emits a clinical sort of bluish glow that it casts onto the speaker. The older analog technology emits an orange glow that it casts all around. The speaker sort of serves as a dividing line that isn't very clearly on either 'side', hence it's central placement. The apple logo is sort of 'looking down' from above. the tube is sort of vaguely 'looking up' and you can even see the oblique reflection of the apple logo on the tube.

The thought I wanted to convey then suggests the composition, and it suggests how to recompose and improve the shot as well (this was mostly just the first shot, and I'm sort of playing around with the concept in my head before I really make another try at a more 'final' shot).

My point is that your photo has to have substance. It has to be about 'something' other than just looking cool. It doesn't have to be a story, though it can, it doesn't have to be an object, though it can, it just has to be SOMETHING. Then you can from that starting point figure out how you want to compose your photograph in order to bring that out in a way you want.

Wow, you explained it much better than my own photography instructor. I left still scratching my head like, wtf? I was feeling like he made me even worse off then if I didn't talk to him about it. I wouldn't even say he tried to explain it. I like how you made something so simple like a computer, speaker, and a tube amp look so cool and deep. Personally coming from a non-art background your picture and explanation really helps me out. I appreciate you doing that. Really do. See, I had this impression that explaining what a picture is about was just what's in front of your eyes. Graffiti and a busted up wall. Not really thinking in abstract point of view. I'm interested in how your final shot comes out as well.

Thanks for contacts. You shot a lot of staircases, but there are some frames, which put together, just may create a story of "abandonment", if that is your intention. It just may that happened, that you went into that hotel without a clear clue what do you want to extract from that location. Maybe that needs to be define first. Also for your trip to Bombay Beach.

No thank you for the help. I appreciate it. That was my intentions on the story. Abandonment. I did however, go into it just shooting. For me, composition just went out the door. I tried to get some help from my instructor to better explain it to me, but his style doesn't really help me much. As I told Fjrabon, I personally do not come from an artistic background. So this whole abstract way of seeing things, etc. is all very new for me. The way my instructor was explaining it to me, he might as well have been speaking German. He actually made it worst on me. I noticed that. haha I didn't even realize I shot so many pictures of the staircase. Out of these 72 shots, I only like three of them. I don't know if you can really tell, but the first contact sheet, bottom right hand corner. I like it. There were dead leaves covering the ground and this empty rusty can there sitting off to the lower right hand side with the empty pool in the background. I know you can't really see it, but what do you think?

I find myself drawn to urban decay/abandoned, so that's where my idea came up for this shoot. Have you ever seen Dennis Maitland's work? I like his style, he uses abandoned/dilapidated buildings in Detroit

Most reactions

Back