I need some lighting stands, what should I buy?

Jay M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a complete amateur, but learning.

Right now I have:
Nikon D90
SB600 Flash
Lite Panels Micro Pro
18-200 lens
$50 50mm lens.

I think I need something to hold the camera, and something to soften the light. Umbrellas are cheap.
I also think a reflector would be good to have and some sort of stand to hold it.

I looked at Amazon and came up with these items:

Amazon.com: Westcott 301 Photo Basics 40-Inch 5-in-1 Reflector: Camera & Photo

41e0yAWcb0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Amazon.com: Shoe Mount Multiclamp: Adorama Camera

41gl8vLWJ8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Amazon.com: Westcott 750 Photo Basics 7.0-Foot Light Stand: Camera & Photo

31BrXH9g0%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Amazon.com: Adorama 40" White Interior Umbrella with Removeable Black Cover.: Adorama Camera

41ke8efN3mL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Am I on the right track with my thinking?

thanks,
~Jay

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, I'd say you are on the right track.

I assume you are planing to use the SB-600, with the umbrella on the stand?

If you don't have someone to hold the reflector, you could get another stand, along with a reflector holding kit.

That stand is fine, it will hold what you have, but it's on the lower end of size & quality. You might want to (or have to) use a sand bag to keep it from blowing over if you use it with the umbrella outdoors. They are nice and light to pack around though.
Personally I like a bigger, more sturdy stand...and one that can go up to 10' or 13' etc.

what Mke is referring to is a simple BOOM arm... about $25-$30 if you look around:

3404513210_b04fbe9a7b.jpg

Great to have if you don't have an assistant to angle it for you.

I've pushed the crap out of mine... going so far as to put a small softbox and 2 flashes off the end of it, and counter weighing it with DIY sandbags. It works.. but BARELY. :lmao:

3721769717_e98d7e51fa.jpg

I see the boom has a slight bow to it.. I'd say you are pushing the crap out of it!

What reflector holder would you guys recommend? The two I saw on amazon had terrible reviews. Is that the one item that should be bogen/manfrotto?

thanks,
~Jay

Yes, what I meant by 'kit' was basically a boom arm and then something to hold the reflector. There are special clips you can get, or you could probably just use spring clamps from the hardware store.

I have a boom arm, it's fairly cheap though. I haven't seen a good one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg though. For just holding a reflector, it should matter though.

I just looked up the Manfrotto, it's $111! Other options are less than $30. What brand is cheap, but still works?

~Jay

I just looked up the Manfrotto, it's $111! Other options are less than $30. What brand is cheap, but still works?

Adorama... $40. They also have stands/reflector holders there for less than that, but that is pushing it. Go to their site and look. Same for B&H.

I paid $35Cdn locally for mine (he's one of those guys that has an apartment and sells out of there, if you know what I mean). Works great as a reflector holder, good as a speedlight holder... kinda sorta ok as a softbox holder... lol.

Also, check out the strobist section at mpex.com. They have $39 lumapro 5 section stands that fold up really small for portability. Sort of clones of the Manfrotto nano.

Ouchie... don't buy anything for a few minutes... I'll see if I can find that contact info from the place where I bought mine.

Thanks Jerry

I'm not in a huge rush, but you know how it is when your in a mood to spend money ;)

~Jay

Ok I did the research and called the guy. He's not very interested in selling to anyone except face to face and definitely not interested in shipping. His boom arm like I have is $35 but since he doesn't ship, thats useless to you.

I invited the guy to open an ebay store but he just laughed.

Oh well, I did try.

The Lumopro one is only $39 and according to Strobist.com, that brand works very well. I am ordering a couple of thei stands and the holder soon to give them a try as a portable set.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back