I need this exact lighting setup....pic included - HELP

Gallardo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am in need of this identical setup for the same use. Can someone lead me in the right direction as to what this setup is and where I could purchase something like this? BH photo??

Thank you in advance.

HERE:

Also....these simply plug in correct? No trigger or anything is needed?

You have so many options it really isn't funny.

It seems to me like 2 strobes of some Wattage on 2 rolliing stands that are tethered to the camera with two attached softboxes.

Those could be anything. Could be ProFoto, Calumet, or what have you. I think they are monolights given that the cords look like extensions cords rather than extension cables going to a pack (based on the length and the fact that they are orange).

The modifiers are both Octaboxes, I'm not really sure what size.

As far as triggering, you need a PC-sync cable if you don't want to get into triggers, otherwise, Pocket Wizards tend to be the most popular triggering method used by professionals.

Also, given the lights in the windshield and the other power cord on the right side, there is more to this setup than just those two lights.

Last edited:
The funny thing here, is that this photo isn't lit by those two lights. They are giving off some light, but it looks to be just the modeling lamp, not the actual flash (if they are indeed strobes).
If those lights had been the primary lights for a photo of the vehicle, the photo would look a lot different than it does here.

Just pointing that out, in case it wasn't clear.

As other have mentioned, there is nothing out of the ordinary with the lights. They appear to be monolights with Octaboxes.

If they are strobes, the would need to triggered by the camera some how. If there are no cords, it's probably a radio trigger system.

First you need this.. Dean Collins Then things should become clear.

If after viewing the DVD a few times and you still can't see how to pull it off, hire someone else to do the job and pay them extra to show you how to do it.

Make sure to let them know that you want to see how it's done because if you get to be too big of a pain it might void your contract and you would still owe them for the shoot.

I had the opportunity to watch someone shoot a car with hotlights recently, using photoshop layering techniques and 8-10 second exposures. The results are as good or better than a strobed exposure and a lot simpler and less expensive to set up. In some cases you can get a look that would have been impossible with strobes.

2 small octaboxes on rolling stands with monolights. You can tell they are lower powered strobes becuase the modeling lights are not very strong and if you look closely, the octaboxes are mounted directly on the strobe. The bodies of the strobes look quite small (likely not over 500 W/s models, more probably 200-250 W/s).

I do not see any antennas on them so likely no integrated Pocket Wizard support. I see no wires except the power wires connected, so they need to still connect the wireless triggers.

BH has a ton of stuff, as does Adorama. Theyare forum sponsors and known reliable sources.

I think ProFotos have built in support for their proprietary triggering system that doesn't show any kind of antenna. That said, I wonder if they aren't props that are not actually lighting anything, given Mike's point that the light is all coming from a different source.

Last edited:
I think ProFotos have built in support for their proprietary triggering system that doesn't show any kind of antenna.

compactPlus600_zoom.jpg

I cannot speak for all models, but this is the one I am kinda mulling over. It has an adjustable external antenna and is Pocket Wizard compatible.

I doubt those were Profoto heads, they looked too small and the wrong shape. Of course I could be wrong. :)

Yeah I'm just musing, haven't handled profoto gear, though I can tell you it's not:
an alienbee, white lightning, or dynalite.

The round shape is what made me think of those PF monos, though I think there are some much cheaper lights with similar shapes. Some Calumet models are shaped like that as well.

All that said I want a ProFoto pack/head setup, but it's gonna be a while :(

The one on the right is just has the modeling light on. You can tell by difference in the color of the light and the one on the left isn't even on.

You can also tell just how little of the SUV would be lit with that setup from the modeling light as well.

Photoshop and hotlights might be cheaper but without experience it might take you a week (or more) to get an acceptable image. There is a reason that the Commercial guys make the big bucks. ;)

The one on the right is just has the modeling light on. You can tell by difference in the color of the light and the one on the left isn't even on.

You can also tell just how little of the SUV would be lit with that setup from the modeling light as well.

Photoshop and hotlights might be cheaper but without experience it might take you a week (or more) to get an acceptable image. There is a reason that the Commercial guys make the big bucks. ;)

The guy I worked with is a commercial guy-- makes big bucks from shooting just a handful of photos a year. There is something funny about $10 clamp lights in concert with a 1Ds mk II but whatever works works.

All that said I want a ProFoto pack/head setup, but it's gonna be a while :(

I used the Profotos a while back. Obviously very nice, but you know what, I am not a professional. While looking around, I saw the Profoto Compact line. Being Profoto, it was what I would consider a very cheap price considering the quality, priced just a little above the Elinchrom D-lite line.

I was also looking at the Photogenic pro line and they are very competitively priced and perform very well. It is starting to look better to me everytime I look at that 1000 W/s unit and because of it's smaller size will fit into the 2 softboxes that I just picked up today.

Decisions, decisions... lol

I've been working with Dynalites at work-- they're a really quality setup, but I have no idea how much they run. Either way, it's going to be a long time till I'm buying that kind of gear, but it's pretty crucial to running a commercial photography operation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back