I need to build a portfolio, any help wanted!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by cbay, Jan 26, 2006.

1. cbay

cbay TPF Noob!

Hello All!

Well I decided today I should start work on my Portfolio so that i can just add to it rather than rush and worry when i need it. Plus i thought be best to update it constantly so i dont forget anything. I am intresting in creating a portfolio for everything though including my photos, what exactly should i include and how should i go about it?

All opinions wanted..

2. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

Start with the goal in mind

3. cbay

cbay TPF Noob!

:roll: how do you mean?

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is it to get work? If so, what kind of work? Weddings? Portraits? Is it just to show friends what you do? What is it that you want to tell people with it?

5. cbay

cbay TPF Noob!

I want one to build up for when i have a job interview i can jst take it along with me as an extension to my CV. What needs to be included though?

6. DocFrankenstein

Pictures in a folder.

They have to impress

7. cbay

cbay TPF Noob!

Okay well I think I'm just going to give it ago. :D

Thanks everyone!

8. DocFrankenstein

I was being slightly sarcastic in last post.

But I can only answer generally, since you're asking a very general question.

9. PachelbelsCanon350D

PachelbelsCanon350D TPF Noob!

Yep, be a little more specific. Taking the folio to add to your CV. Well, what's on your CV? Are you a photo major? Are you hoping to get a job photographing weddings? Nature? Machinery? Products? You have to say something with your portfolio. If you want it businesslike, you're not going to put sappy shallow DoF photos of a puppy in there. (Unless you want ME to hire you.) :lol: Know what I mean?

As a graphic designer I'm always changing pieces in and out of my portfolio to suit what I think my interviewer will want to see. Heavy typography? Heavy image? Doc's right, it helps us help you if we know more specifically what you want to accomplish :)

10. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Here's some general vague advice:

The basics of photography are an understanding of the relationship of the camera to it's environment. Therefore you should try and show the following technical abilities in your portfolio:

Understanding motion. Avoiding clich├ęs like traffic trails and waterfalls, can you take a picture which demonstrates a shutter speed which adds something to a shot.

Understanding exposure. Again, avoiding the "puppy" shot, but can you show a picture which lets people know that you understand "the blurry thing".

Understanding subject/content. You wouldn't pose a rock group feeding the ducks in the park, and equally you wouldn't do a shot of your gran standing in front of graffiti and barbed wire. (Unless it was deliberate)

Composition: No subjects dead-centre, no horizons bisecting the image, no stray crap in the shot. Keep em clean, keep em clever.

Do NOT under any circumstances include any of the following unless they are going to be world-class:

Sunsets
    Waterfalls
    Birds in the park
    Clouds

Also don't include any shots which were a lucky accident and turned out kinda cool. You didn't mean it, so it doesn't mean anything.

Right, that's about it for me. If anyone wants to disagree, please do jump right in, I just think aloud really!

Rob

11. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree, its always best to consider the business in hand rather than to just include what 'you like'. good luck

12. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

It might be pointing out that when people interview you for a job which isn't "photographer" then you're gonna send a pretty clear message that you want to be a photographer to them. This may affect your chances of employment in another field.