I need to create some portraits with extra cheese!

Dubious Drewski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Maybe you guys can help. Two friends of mine want to send their friends and family photo Christmas cards this year. Sounds normal, except they want to do it in the style of cheesy, awful 80's Christmas family portraits. I am happy to accept the challenge, but I'd like to see what you guys could suggest for lighting/prop details.

Surprisingly, it's been excruciatingly hard to find samples of cheesy portraits online. But I have already envisioned red and green knitted sweaters, corny Christmas themed background, a small prop or two, like a miniature Christmas tree or oversized candy cane and maybe a pose along the lines of John C Reilly and Will Ferrel:
stepbrotherswillferrellpm6.jpg

I am also going to process the image in a way that makes it look straight out of the 80s.

Any suggestions though?

...can't help, but I'm looking forward to seeing the results. :)

Thanks for the contribution Jerry, but if you peruse the links you provided, you'll see that none of the images you'll find are along the lines of 'Cheesy posed family photos'. And I didn't even see one photo that looked remotely authentic. Did you? I am hoping to create a photo that has such a strong, awful style that anyone who looks at can't help but laugh and/or be appalled.

I know what I will do to make this portrait work, but I'm definitely disappointed that google hasn't been so helpful.

Last edited:
You cannot go too far with cheese. Thanks, some of those are just great. Soft focus, pastels, denim, stupid props, oh it's so wonderful! I've forwarded that to my friend. We'll see what he thinks of it.

Thanks for the contribution Jerry, but if you peruse the links you provided, you'll see that none of the images you'll find are along the lines of 'Cheesy posed family photos'. And I didn't even see one photo that looked remotely authentic. Did you? I am hoping to create a photo that has such a strong, awful style that anyone who looks at can't help but laugh and/or be appalled.

I spent a good 45 min going through about 200 of those links. Seems your definition of cheese is of a higher standard than mine, becuase I often cracked up or just clicked to the next one becuase it was literally AWFUL... lol

Alright. I think I got some usable shots here. Some are better quality than others. All of them are equally bemusing. The colours on some were splotched to give it a low-quality, oldschool photo look.

1. The Aspiring photographer:
magicphotographerglowao6.jpg

2. Happy roommates:
3112980114_aa08ae457c_b.jpg

3. The wonderful electronic telephone!
phonecall01wl0.jpg

4. Oh, it's you!
shoulders02coloursplotczn4.jpg

5. This has left me feeling unfulfilled.
whatanawfulgiftjo5.jpg

What do you think, guys? Got any criticism for me? Remember though that they are supposed to look corny and somewhat eighties(excluding this last one here, which is just supposed to look weird).

Last edited:
I... don't know what to say. :lol:
I think you accomplished your goal. :lmao: :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back