tom.ganc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.atgancarzphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First of all hello to everyone.
I'm new here and I want to get some DSLR camera but I'm getting confused.
I have about £400 budget and I can't make my mind up :confused:
As I said I'm very beginner (I have compact camera just to take everyday shots) and I would like to start playing with propper stuff.

I quite like Nikon D40X but the Canon EOS 400D is nice aswell. Also there is an option to get used camera (like Nikon D70).
If you guys could help me that will be great.

Thanks alot
Tom

The only thing that should make your decision is how the camera feels in your hands; there's no point getting a top-of-the-range D3 or EOS 1Ds if you hate how it handles! Also, be aware that the cash you pay for the camera isn't the only thing you will buy. You might need a memory card (2gb+), a tripod, another lens (a 55-200 or a 50mm f/1.8) and a camera case, so don't get a £400 camera immediately.

If you're going towards the D40x, then may I point you in the direction of the so-called "lower-end" D40? Although it only has 6mp, the images are much sharper than the X, it's cheaper, it has a better high-ISO performance than the X, and it has a 1/500 sec flash sync speed. No other camera on the market today has that capability (the D70 and certain used EOSs do).

Either way, it's all up to you. Enjoy!

The only thing that should make your decision is how the camera feels in your hands; there's no point getting a top-of-the-range D3 or EOS 1Ds if you hate how it handles! Also, be aware that the cash you pay for the camera isn't the only thing you will buy. You might need a memory card (2gb+), a tripod, another lens (a 55-200 or a 50mm f/1.8) and a camera case, so don't get a £400 camera immediately.

If you're going towards the D40x, then may I point you in the direction of the so-called "lower-end" D40? Although it only has 6mp, the images are much sharper than the X, it's cheaper, it has a better high-ISO performance than the X, and it has a 1/500 sec flash sync speed. No other camera on the market today has that capability (the D70 and certain used EOSs do).

Thanks for the followup on that one, I was in a bit of a rush, I was gonna edit it in but you covered it.

tom.ganc you seem to be in the same situation as i am!

im now trying to decide between used D70/s, used 20D, a new 350D, or a new D40

the D40 looks good but i want to gethe the 50mm 1.8 lens and theres no autofocus with this lens!

That's for help. I think D40 will be good fun. And looks like you like RC too :D (I have HPI savege XSS)
Tom

Does the Canon have any lens limitations? I know some of the D40s (don't know if its all of them) can only use lenses that have on-board focusing motors as there is no focusing motor on the D40 body.

That can be... icky.

I would just generally check both cameras very closely and see where they are limited and see if that has an impact on you. Check dpreview.com for exhaustive reviews.

I think a used cam from a credible source is a solid idea for anyone, but you do want to be careful. Cameras can get banged around quite a bit, and we're not talking about the AE1 tanks of yesteryear here... these are pretty sensitive computerized devices.

(and yes, I know the AE1 was partially computerized)

:)

That's for help. I think D40 will be good fun. And looks like you like RC too :D (I have HPI savege XSS)
Tom
Yep, I do enjoy racing :D. I just have a Tamiya Desert Gator, though. Wow, a Savage XSS? Where do you race that thing, a football field or something? :lol:

Yes...but you could still drop it off the table, then kick it across the room and expect it to work :lol:

no joke... I actually did almost that.

(well, I knocked it off the table and then tripped over it.) :)

Left a BIG dent in the hardwood floor, too. My wife was TICKED. :D

Most reactions

Back