I need your help! :)

transparent

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Firstly I have a confession to make...I'm not actually a photographer! What I am, however, is a translator who is very stuck with some photography terms in a text! This is where you lovely people come in...please redirect me if I'm in the wrong bit of the forum but this seemed like a good start...

OK, can you say "brightener walls"? It's what someone has set up to photograph an exhibition (the German is Aufhellerwände)

And the opposite of a brightener is...darkener? The Swiss German is Kascher but no-one seems to know this word!

Perhaps there is somewhere I could find a list of photography terms? Any help would be gratefully received :)

Also, I love this site! I can look at pictures and call it research ;)

Cheers, Claire

are talking about different shades of backdrops?
brighter or darker back drop.
(just a guess here, not sure)

Welcome to TPF, consider yourself 'converted' to the rank of newbie. We hope to see you often on the boards.

In regards to the 'brightener' and 'darkener' at a photo exhibit, I really have no clue, but I'm guessing it's about the lighting of the walls. As there are many kinds of lights that can be 'cool' or 'warm' to the walls. I don't know, just a guess.

Hello Claire and Welcome to the forum. I can't help but thought I'd Welcome you anyway.

Hum, maybe it is a backdrop, I'm scuppered! I don't suppose there are any German photography fans loitering in the background are there? You'd definitely be my new best friend!

Thanks for the welcome anyway :)

Back again, having stared at the text for a little while longer...
The scenario is this photographer is taking pictures at the official Tutankhamun exhibition but she's having issues with the glare off all of the gold when she uses (flashlights?)...so, she sets up a:
canvas
light diffusing screen
brightening backdrops
gold reflectors

OK, are we following? Please tell me if I use terms that don't make sense!

Then she realises that rather than a (brightener?) she needs a (dark back drop?) for his striking facial features, a golden illumination for the depths of his eyes, a highlight for the valuable inlays and embossments and then a fill light to revive his whole life...
(Talking about the King Tut mask)

Hum, so yes-I'm still having issues! Maybe a challenge for the weekend ;)

Claire

Most reactions

Back