I need your help!

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by ShootHoops, Aug 2, 2006.

1. ShootHoops

ShootHoops TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well I'm about to start my senior year of high school and I've never bothered to look for colleges til now. I'm stuck! I found a college in California but I really have no intentions of going way over there. They sent me a lot of information about the school via UPS and they offer a ton of Photography courses. I figured the online courses are convenient, but I think it may be better for me to attend classes on campus so I can get some hands-on action. Since I came to that conclusion, I haven't been able to find any info on schools in Texas (mainly the Dallas area). I am frustrated and giving up for the night. But before I sign off, I just wanted to ask for your opinions. Did any of you self-employed Photograpers get a Degree? Or were you better off learning on your own?

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A lot will depend on what kind of person you are. I've never done well with traditional classrooms because I hate just sitting there while I listen to someone yammer, but other's thrive in that situation. I still took classes at the local darkroom, but they were structured more like workshops with small numbers and more interactivity.

I personally think it's good to have at least some interaction and input from those more experienced, whether it's a class, workshop, apprenticeship, or just club meetings.

3. ShootHoops

ShootHoops TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I've never been too much of a classroom person either. Maybe I'll have a better idea when I start the class and I'll see how it goes from there.

4. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I went to School of Visual Arts NYC (yes I am proud) and assisted during that time. SVA was good in that I learned to become a photographer. My childhood hobby became my art. Assisting was my first step into the commercial world. Currently I am from both experiences.

I vote for taking the college route.

5. niccig

niccig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't have any advice as to whether college is better than being self-taught, since I'm not a pro, but I think college is a really good experience for life in general, if it's an option for you. I'v heard that the UNT photography program is good, but I don't have any experience with it personally.

6. ShootHoops

ShootHoops TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the input you guys.