I need your help!

ShootHoops

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ariellemyers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I'm about to start my senior year of high school and I've never bothered to look for colleges til now. I'm stuck! I found a college in California but I really have no intentions of going way over there. They sent me a lot of information about the school via UPS and they offer a ton of Photography courses. I figured the online courses are convenient, but I think it may be better for me to attend classes on campus so I can get some hands-on action. Since I came to that conclusion, I haven't been able to find any info on schools in Texas (mainly the Dallas area). I am frustrated and giving up for the night. But before I sign off, I just wanted to ask for your opinions. Did any of you self-employed Photograpers get a Degree? Or were you better off learning on your own?

A lot will depend on what kind of person you are. I've never done well with traditional classrooms because I hate just sitting there while I listen to someone yammer, but other's thrive in that situation. I still took classes at the local darkroom, but they were structured more like workshops with small numbers and more interactivity.

I personally think it's good to have at least some interaction and input from those more experienced, whether it's a class, workshop, apprenticeship, or just club meetings.

Yeah I've never been too much of a classroom person either. Maybe I'll have a better idea when I start the class and I'll see how it goes from there.

I went to School of Visual Arts NYC (yes I am proud) and assisted during that time. SVA was good in that I learned to become a photographer. My childhood hobby became my art. Assisting was my first step into the commercial world. Currently I am from both experiences.

I vote for taking the college route.

I don't have any advice as to whether college is better than being self-taught, since I'm not a pro, but I think college is a really good experience for life in general, if it's an option for you. I'v heard that the UNT photography program is good, but I don't have any experience with it personally.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back