I really don't think I could be any more proud...

That's great. I just gave my three year old daughter her first Hello Kitty camera this summer. She really loves taking pictures; she's a natural.

My wife give an old Sony P&S to my daughter (turn 3 this summer) as well. And she keep snapping pictures. She had a lot of fun and hahaha .. took one picture of me sleeping even. (I do not even know she took that picture until I saw it in the camera) ..

Manaheim, look forward to see your daughter's work! Especially the shot she took on Pic #3 .. it will be interesting to see if she indeed took a picture of you. It will be a very nice to have both pictures framed together.

Great snaps and what a way to get 'em interested! I have several photos of my kids "shooting" my various film SLR's - they LOVE it!

I've informally given my 5-yr-old daughter our old Olympus C-4000. She has taken a ton of shots with it, but i need to get a larger card or an extra so she can shoot 'til she gets bored! She fills it up and then clean it off for the next time.

My son, almost 3, has informally TAKEN POSSESSION of a beautiful Minolta XD-5 (film camera...) i have sitting around. Even though i haven't yet loaded film in it (it needs a CLA and a new film-spool) he "cocks the shutter", composes, and shoots. He LOVES it!!!

Now, everytime i shoot with my dSLR, they want to see what i got!

Yep, i'm trying to preempt the whole peer-pressure thing and give them something that can help beat the pressure.

aw please post her snaps lol

haha..nice captures! My son is this enthusiastic about photography and I bought him a Playskool digital camera or whatever it is that won't damage if it falls! :)..he's happy, but those batteries don't last him ;)

Last edited:
For me, all I have is a Fuji superzoom camera. Yet, I need to have a camera bag for it. Why a camera bag as if I am one of those dSLR users with mountains of lenses and filters and such? Because I also have to carry a camera for my 8 year old and my 5 year old. So I always have 3 cameras with me any time we go anywhere. BTW, my 5 year old's name is Emma, so, great name of your daughter there, manaheim :D

One of their favorite past times is photo scavenger hunting. I make a long list of stuff, then send them off each with their own camera. They come back with their memory cards full and we go on the computer to look at their "treasures".

Emma actually likes my camera. I gave her my very old 2 mp Fuji snapshooter but she wants to use my superzoom. She is always wanting my camera, then I go see what she is doing and she is in her room setting up her webkinz for portraits or setting up her Littlest Pet Shops in little scenes in their house thingamajiggers.

She looks like she is enjoying herself. She is like a pro already.

Wow, so many responses to this... looks like I struck a chord with a lot of you. :) I'm glad I was able to brighten your day, big. :) Seems like a lot of us have kids getting into this in one way or another... I was amazed how quickly she responded to it. I'm still kinda surprised at her pics. I mean sure they have all kinds of issues, but for a 7 year old?

Actually 2 of them I wish I had taken myself... :lol:

Frequent- I had a 1 gig CF card in the D100 and just put in on JPEG/fine and that gave her 560 or so shots to work with. It worked well. I figured she didn't need the raw, though I saw a couple where she could have benefitted. :)

I'm going to start posting her pictures now... stay tuned ...

This was one of the first threads I read right before I joined. All of the positive posts and interest made me happy and want to post here.

I have a 9 year old that has been asking for a camera so I'm shopping around for a good one to start her out with. I should have given her my old Nikon that I gave my neighbor.

I'm looking forward to seeing your daughter's shots.

Ok, here are her shots... (quite a few, sorry)

Unless noted, I did nothing other than resize these.

Obviously, feel free to comment all you like on these. I'm not emotional about these and I'm not a freaky overly-proud dad or anything. I actually think this is mainly interesting from a "hm... look what a 7 year old can do... interesting!" standpoint.

== 1 ==
Really solid picture of one of the buildings I was shooting. I admit I did level this one a bit. I couldn't not. :lol:
DSC_6793.jpg

== 2 ==
Pretty berries in one of the trees. I wish I had noticed these, I might have gotten a neat shot out of it. I was spending too much time staring at the bricks and blue glass on the building.
DSC_6813.jpg

== 3 ==
Kinda neat... color balance came out weird for some reason.
DSC_6858.jpg

== 4 ==
I dunno why, but this one made me laugh.
DSC_6876.jpg

== 5 ==
Another one I wish I had noticed. Such nice colors on those leaves.
DSC_6888.jpg

== 6 ==
Neat pattern in the pavement.
DSC_6934.jpg

== 7 ==
Another pretty solid building shot... though of a building we didn't need to take pictures of. I swear. The nerve of this kid. :lol:
DSC_6940.jpg

== 8 ==
I think there was a picture here... I think she didn't quite get it, but it looks like she maybe saw it.
DSC_6946.jpg

== 9 ==
Daddy! This one is interesting if you compare it to the shot I was taking of her at the time. First, her DOF is way the heck better than mine (shocker, I had the 50 on), second... you can see where she gets her stubby fingers. :lol: poor kid.)
DSC_6968.jpg

== 10 ==
"Make a funny face, Daddy!" A stunning portrait of me.
DSC_6970.jpg

== 11 ==
A budding architectural photographer?
DSC_6974.jpg

== 12 ==
Again... I kinda like this one. Needs some framing work, but neat. I actually took a shot using this same subject but framed it differently. So clearly she doesn't outshoot me all the time. :lol:
DSC_7022.jpg

== 13 ==
I thought this was one of her best. She actually took several of this subject, but this one was framed best I think.
DSC_7032.jpg

== 14 ==
Another shot I wish I had snapped. Not bad at all.
DSC_7057.jpg

This was one of the first threads I read right before I joined. All of the positive posts and interest made me happy and want to post here.

I have a 9 year old that has been asking for a camera so I'm shopping around for a good one to start her out with. I should have given her my old Nikon that I gave my neighbor.

I'm looking forward to seeing your daughter's shots.

Oh that's nice to hear (that you saw this and felt good about TPF). After the last week, TPF could use a little good PR. :lol: (don't ask!)

I gotta say I was AMAZED at how well Emma handled the D100. Esp. since I've seen people say that they HAD to buy a D40 because they have small hands. I think we've kinda killed that whole "I physically need a small camera" thing. :lol:

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back