I wanna shoot... now what?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by keith204, Jul 30, 2007.

1. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    When events arise, I find it easy to find things to take photos of. However... let's say I just want to go "practice" because I have free time? Where do I go? What do I do? The town park just gets old.

A friend of mine recommended to get some posterboard (for a background), a shop light, and find random objects to photograph... so i could get used to lighting, and the solid color backgrounds. This is neat...

I'd like to learn more about lighting and composition.

When you want to practice, what do you do?

2. strick

strick TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess it depends on what you like to shoot. Me I am more of a landscape/nature type of guy. If I don't have anything in particular in mind I just take a ride and look for things to shoot. I have found a few good shots that way. Or just pic a weekly theme and find things that fit.

3. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    What are some suggestions of 'weekly themes'? That sounds like a good idea... it'll keep me thinking and looking.

4. strick

strick TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are a few in the "theme" section. In the past I have done barns, pets, and fences to name a few. You could do silhouettes or textures.

5. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I often find myself bored in my room, or when I'm waiting around for the girlfriend I will snap some pictures of random stuff. Just the other day I got out my 430EX and was taking pictures of pens, pencils, and this bobble head on my shelf: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wdodd04/918862299/

You mentioned you wanted to learn more about lighting: http://strobist.blogspot.com/ is a great place to start.

6. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you wanna shoot, now what? <--- i thought you were joking before i opened the thread! the solution is easy, carry your camera with you, get out, go on a walk. anywhere!

what interests you outside photography? human rights? boxing? racing? dairy farms? go to those things and shoot.

I think you will find it hard to not find a photograph if you make yourself go out and look for one.

7. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I carry my camera with me at all times - I take pictures of all kinds of dumb stuff. . .not every photograph has to be "worthy" of being taken. . .even the most mundane bullshicksa is great, if it helps you get more comfortable with your camera, then do so.

Says you have a macro lens in your bag - go hogwild with that. . .a whole world of shiznit that you can photograph.

8. marinaw

marinaw TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another option that can be fun is to take shots of very mundane objects using very unusual angles or extreme close-ups. If you get creative enough, it can be fun watching people try to puzzle out what they are photos of.

My brother-in-law did that when he was house-sitting for us once. When we came home he showed us the photos. He had fun looking around the house with a different perspective, and we had fun trying to figure things out.

9. dangergoinoff

dangergoinoff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do you get sunsets or sunrises where you are?
    Near a city?
    Beach?
    Mountains?
    Old rail yard?
    Get out and have a look around.

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why go anywhere. As an exercise try and photograph something mundane in the house in an intersting way.

11. keith204

Photos OK to edit

yep, nope, nope, nope, nope, ok-sounds good.

I'm in the ozarks... but there are some lakes around here.... mainly I need to get out and about during sunrise & sunset when natural lighting is at its best. In the morning, I sleep through the sunet, and in the evening, am on this forum and not outside :)

No... but the replies here have definitely helped give me direction and inspiration. I'm not the "get out and shoot" type of person (last time i tried this, the only picture i got was of my neighbor peeing on his house........ok it was worth it) So, having an idea --a theme--an objective--a goal-- will really help. Thanks for the advice!

12. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When I bring my camera to school, I'll take pictures of what people would call "nothing". Ceiling tiles, posters, desks, the teacher (the surprisingly don't care). People will ask what I'm taking pictures of of andI'll just say "stuff". They think it;'s weird then I'll go "oh look at how I captured the legs of this desk from this angle!" They'll look at it and go "wow, you're good, I didn't think that someone could make this look that nice, you should charge people for pictures." and all from a picture of "nothing". Just snap away, make little goals in your head (I want to take a picture where this fountain's droplets are frozen in place, I want to take a picture with the foreground blurry and the background in foucs, now the reverse, I want to tka e apicture where the sky is exposed properly, and silouhuettes lie in the foreground, etc. You'll be proud when you nail these goals, and more importantly, be more accostomed to donig them when you're REALLY taking pictures. you'd be surprised that you may find a few keepers amungst your practice shots.