I want to be an apprentice!

Scout

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have always loved photography, but recently I have become obsessed! I take my camera everywhere and take photos of anything! :D Now I want to take my hobby (obsession) to the next level and possibly become someone's apprentice and learn from a professional. I am interested in children's portraits, pet portraits and event photography. So where do I start? How does a person become an apprentice?

Another slightly related question....how long did it take before your photos became consistent in quality? It seems I take a million photos only to have a few good/great ones!

Thanks as always for the great advice!!!

"I find your lack of faith disturbing..."
Just kidding:lol:

It doesn't take a million ... but it takes about 10,000. I am around 7,500 , but I'd say that I am not yet any close to a great photographer. Well my photos barely ever get enough critic for me to improve , so.
Begin with simply making photos and posting them on the forums , hoping the community will tell you what to improve. There is such a thing as becoming someone's apprentice, try entering some photo groups around your location, as there you might become someone's pupil for free (as well as a friend) , whereas often you have to pay for a pro for him to go out with you. And that half a day won't be enough for a big boost.
Hope I helped

get together some of your best work that you can produce pretty consistently and then start pounding the pavement and calling / visiting local photographers.

Find someone whose work you like, call them up. Be professional, be smart and be ready to be available.

They may use you are a reflector holder in a few shoots before they feel comfortable letting you shoot with them.

Dont be taken advantage of. While its normal to setup gear, transport it around and do odd jobs, this should not be all you do

Be ready to take notes and know when to ask questions. Be observant

Most reactions

Back