I wasn't sure where to ask this..

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to get a fisheye or wide angle type lens for my Canon Rebel.

I've looked on ebay and can only really find those things you screw on to the end of your exsisting lens'. Have any of you used those? Are they good?

The dedicated one is far too expensive but is it worth saving for?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Why not ask in the Equipment forum, muffin-face? Not to say you won't get replies here, but it seems a bit more limiting. Or even Beyond the Basics, you might get an opinion or 3.

There's a big difference between a wide angle lens and a fisheye, so you might define what you're really wanting first, too. :)

terri said:
Why not ask in the Equipment forum, muffin-face? Not to say you won't get replies here, but it seems a bit more limiting. Or even Beyond the Basics, you might get an opinion or 3.

There's a big difference between a wide angle lens and a fisheye, so you might define what you're really wanting first, too. :)

See, I wouldn't know what that difference is. And to be honest was really looking for someone to explain that so I know which is the better investment. For all I know, I might just want a wide angle more than I want a Fisheye, at which point the $50 adition to my existing lens would do just fine.

However I digress. Posting in the "other forum" now. Which I didn't see before so thanks butter-face....i mean gorgeous lady face...:lovey:

bace said:
See, I wouldn't know what that difference is. And to be honest was really looking for someone to explain that so I know which is the better investment. For all I know, I might just want a wide angle more than I want a Fisheye, at which point the $50 adition to my existing lens would do just fine.

However I digress. Posting in the "other forum" now. Which I didn't see before so thanks butter-face....i mean gorgeous lady face...:lovey:
Well, you know what you get with a fisheye, right? If not google it and see the examples. Every image will show exaggerated distortion of a 14 to possibly 18mm lens (they vary slightly by model). A wide angle will distort, too, if you get too close to the subject, and this can be used deliberately if you want distortion. But say you just want a normal shot of a very large building or a sweeping landscape - a 21mm in a 35 SLR will give you that to perfection. Some photographers use wide angle for group shots, too, which is usually not as desirable - but again, it depends on the lens.

So if you want a fisheye to have the artistic option of unavoidable distortion in every shot you use it for, get the fisheye. If you want to be able to control it more, get the wide angle with the adapters. Hope this helps just a tad (it's not much, I know). :razz:

I basically want the distortion for club shots and dramatic portraits. I'm thinking a wide angle thing with the adapters is what I need, but again, if that's something that's gonna break or scratch easily (the cost just seems so low), then I'd rather go with something quality right.

And terrence can you please move this to the other forum?

I would copy and make a new one, but I've actually been pretty busy.

Plus I would like the non subscribers to see the rest of the thread....

Love you!! Thanks!

bace said:
I basically want the distortion for club shots and dramatic portraits. I'm thinking a wide angle thing with the adapters is what I need, but again, if that's something that's gonna break or scratch easily (the cost just seems so low), then I'd rather go with something quality right.

And terrence can you please move this to the other forum?

I would copy and make a new one, but I've actually been pretty busy.

Plus I would like the non subscribers to see the rest of the thread....

Love you!! Thanks!
Kiss up. :lol: You didn't say where, so to the equipment forum it will go.

Most reactions

Back