I won!!!

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just won an ebay auction for the Canon Speedlite 550EX. Got it for 280US Used. Don't even know if that's a good deal, but the Henry's downtown was selling one used for 399 Canadian so I figure I got it for a reasonable price.

With shipping it should come to about $350.

Hope I don't get screwed on import taxes of something.

Ah well.

I can only pay with paypal, and it seems most of those sites only take CC.

You live and learn I guess.

Oh Bacey One,

I, too, recently won an auction on eBay for some extension tubes. Paid $47 (USD) after S&H, and it turns out that while they WILL work, they really weren't the right ones. That's the problem with being a noob to photography--I want so much, but don't really know enough yet to actually spend money :lmao:

Well, I figure when I have enough money to buy the right ones, I'll resell these...they are fine, they just don't work with the auto focus/exposure/appreture. C'est la vie!

I'm happy with the purchase. I got it for cheaper than a new one, and I actually got it. I can't buy anything with these really cheap online stores because they only accept CC's. You can't even get a used one for that cheap in Toronto stores, and I don't have the means to travel to out of town cheaper places.

This is basically exactly what I need/want. And it was within my budget.

I also get to recieve it in the mail. A nice alternative to purchasing at a store.

My only fear is the costoms fee.

Hopefully I don't get screwed.

bace said:

If it's coming from Canada you won't have to worry about customs. I don't think they will slap you with any fees. I bought stuff from Canada and never had to pay customs.

I live in Canada. It's being shipped from the U.S.

bace said:
I'm happy with the purchase. I got it for cheaper than a new one, and I actually got it. I can't buy anything with these really cheap online stores because they only accept CC's. You can't even get a used one for that cheap in Toronto stores, and I don't have the means to travel to out of town cheaper places.

This is basically exactly what I need/want. And it was within my budget.

I also get to recieve it in the mail. A nice alternative to purchasing at a store.

Bace, in all seriousness:

I purchased a CD off eBay because I thought it was out of print. I spent about $25 on it. That particular album has very sentimental value to me.

Anyway, I was in the store and saw the f'ing thing for $15. I was p*ssed!

But (and this is the point here), I realized that I got it when I wanted it, and it was worth $25 to me, so really, I still paid how much I felt was worth it, and I don't regret it.

Bottom line is that as long as you are happy with your purchase, it doesn't matter if you paid more or less than you can get it elsewhere.

You it well, and enjoy it.

Sorry, I'm in a weird serious mood today...must snap out of it....must be more jocose...must live up to my name!

bace said:
I live in Canada. It's being shipped from the U.S.

Oops, sorry about that, I thought you lived in the US. :blushing:

Anyway, I have also sold a few cameras to some Canadian fellows and they had no prob with customs.

But that was about two years ago. Hopefully things haven't changed.

I've done the other way around, and recently had stuff shipped from Canada to the US and didn't have any fees.

hmmm...the customs thing is a crapshoot IMO...you never know whats gonna happen bace. hope you don't get screwed.
If they send it by courier you could be in for a surprise; brokerage fees and duty can bust a cheap sale. You'll notice I'm in Canada too so speaking from experience :(
hope you dodge the bullet...let us know

sorry to be the pessimist here

It's being sent U.S. Priority Mail.

No courier service.

$70 for shipping? Thats where you got screwed if thats the case. Is it more to send over a countries border? I know some people sell things on e-bay cheap, but then make up for it by over charging for shipping. I just bought a camera case weaighing 8 pounds, and its being sent from California to Wisconsin for $15.

Doug

No. Original price was $280 U.S. I paid $12 U.S. for shipping. Total $292.

Converted to Canadian Dollars = $332.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase. The 550EX is pretty effing sweet.

Works as a Master for other wireless units which I plan to invest in later. And can also work as a slave if I end up getting a transmitter. Also the features it has are really cool.

Brand new they're 299 U.S. Plus shipping and handling. Plus exchange. I would end up spending a lot more in the long run, and this was purchased from a guy who has 99.8% rating on ebay with over 400 comments. Comes with instructions and original packaging. It's supposed to be "LIKE NEW". Looked like it was in great condition in the pics supplied.

Most reactions

Back