The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently use an i5-750 and occasionally get messages of high CPU activity - and some PS processes take time to execute.

Will an upgrade to i7 with same socket (1156) make any discernible difference?

TIA,
Lew

Well, the difference is 2, Lew. I mean, I5 to I7. There you go! Two!

So, two times better, right? That's how it works isn't it? ;-)

#logic

PS. I really would try to answer this question, but I'm out of touch with PC's as of late. I'll shoot my computer guru dad an email, if I hear back sooner before someone interjects I'll let you know.

thanks, Tyler.
I'm afraid that the socket is gen 1 and that will limit my choices but I have so much that works on this board (16 gb ram) etc, I hate to start from scratch with a new board that require different kinds of memory.

You should see some performance gains.

You may get anywhere upto .37 Ghz extra and potentially more threads (8 over 4) - so depending on the application (and how its written - and how it uses the threads) ... YMMV

Here's what he said Lew:

So is there a large processing difference between I5 to an I7?
3 mins
Tyler Drumm
Jeff Drumm
Kind of depends on what you're using it for. An i7 has, effectively, 8 cores and an i5 has 4.
Jeff • 1 min

So for photo editing, do you think there would be less of a CPU strain if there was an I7?
I'm asking for a friend, I'm not particularly familiar with them
Now
Tyler Drumm
Jeff Drumm
Image and video processing would benefit from more cores, as long as the OS and software are designed to take advantage of them.
Jeff • Now

Okay, perfect. Thanks for the help!

So I guess it boils down to if the OS is capable of leveraging the extra cores or not, which I suppose is a whole other can of worms.

I take it when you say that the socket is 1st Gen that means that it's not upward compatible with an I7? Because that's kinda what I'm gathering via the research...

Before you try the upgrade you need to check and see what is causing your high CPU usage. Check the Task Monitor and see what the problem is. You may be able to help the issues by killing off those unneeded high CPU hog applications.

There are i7 versions for that socket - just not as many as for gen 2 sockets.

Clearly you know more than myself about this topic. I am so out of touch since the pentium 4 came out.

No, just have an app that reads my system and tells me what is going on.
I am a bit leery of removing the CPU cooler and replacing it but what can I lose but all the electronics.

It sounds like you need one of those Mac Pros that come with dual hexacore Xeon E5 processors and max'd out graphics cards. I think it's only about $10k. Buy two so you can keep one in your vacation home. ;-)

thanks, Tyler.
I'm afraid that the socket is gen 1 and that will limit my choices but I have so much that works on this board (16 gb ram) etc, I hate to start from scratch with a new board that require different kinds of memory.
Your mainboard uses DDR 3 RAM, as do the current socket 1150 boards. The main concern regarding the RAM is the physical size. Most mainboards take memory modules that are around 5" in length, but there are mini boards that take laptop memory. If your mainboard is a standard size, you can replace it with a standard size socket 1150 and your RAM will work. That said, if your current computer is a Dell or HP, then all bets are off. They usually use proprietary boards...

and here i am working on a 250 dollar black friday special laptop.....

THey are standard sizes.
My PC is from a screwdriver shop that I've bought from for the last 13 years. ecollegepc.com
Good prices, excellent service and knowledge.

THey are standard sizes.
My PC is from a screwdriver shop that I've bought from for the last 13 years. ecollegepc.com
Good prices, excellent service and knowledge.
The techs there can hook you up with a socket 1150 mainboard and i7 processor that will work with your existing RAM.

I don't know if you'll notice a *substantial* performance boost, but I can't imagine using PS with an i5. That i7 Haswell (socket 1150) processor is quite a powerhouse.

Most reactions

Back