Icy Burney Falls

Millerscorpion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first attempt at converting an image to black and white and one other color. I dramatically increased the sharpness because I thought that would greatly enhance the effect of ice in the image.

35718-1487928861-78732c92b3fa2a57ac6c484169f1c268.jpg

burney-falls-sharp-ice.39411

The one color thing does not work. It never does. All the trees are tilting to the right so that tells me its crooked. The sharpness was cranked up way to much, its also too contrasty. A slower shutter speed would have been nice on the water.

I agree with Light Guru and gnagel, this image is over sharpened and the contrast is much too high.

I am not clear as to what you meant by a black and white with one other colour. Did you mean a duotone or split toning?

WesternGuy

I agree with Light Guru and gnagel, this image is over sharpened and the contrast is much too high.

I am not clear as to what you meant by a black and white with one other colour. Did you mean a duotone or split toning?

WesternGuy

I've never heard the terms doutone or split tone. What I want to be able to do with an image like this is make it black and white and add one color to an area like blue for water and/or sky or green for plants.
The more I see this image, the more I tend to agree that it is sharpened a little too much. But you'll just have to trust me, it looks a lot better printed on 13"x19" semigloss paper than on a computer monitor.

FYI -
Duotone - Duotone - Wikipedia
Split-toning - Split Toning in Photoshop

From your description of what you are trying to do, this does not sound like duotoning or split-toning.

I am assuming you are starting with a colour image. One way you might do what you are trying to do is to take the image (in Photoshop) after it is processed and then apply a black and white adjustment layer to it. Once you have the B&W image the way you like it, then you can selectively remove the B&W from the image using a layer mask on the B&W adjustment layer, at least that is how I would approach it at first.

I am not sure if this would do what you are trying to - applying colours to features in the B&W image - but it might be worth a try - don't know - just suggesting - that's all.

As far as the sharpening goes, the image as posted here looks over sharpened as you have agreed. If you sharpened it for a 13"x19" print before posting it here, then that is probably the root of the problem. I don't usually do a final sharpening on my images until I know what they are going to be used for as sharpening for a large print is quite different than sharpening for the web.

WesternGuy

WesternGuy, what you just explained is exactly what I'm trying to do. I went about a different way using Coral Paintshop Pro. I got the color image how I wanted then toned down all colors except blue which I tuned up. It didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, if you look close enough you can still see some color other than blue in most places.

I'll be getting a new computer with Photoshop soon, so I'll be able to try it with your technique. Sounds like that will produce much better results.

That was the first print I made after playing with sharpening so I think I just need to get a feeling of how to sharpen for a print vs the web. It would be nice to find an article on how to do this, since I personally like sharpened images for certain content.

WesternGuy, what you just explained is exactly what I'm trying to do. I went about a different way using Coral Paintshop Pro. I got the color image how I wanted then toned down all colors except blue which I tuned up. It didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, if you look close enough you can still see some color other than blue in most places.

I'll be getting a new computer with Photoshop soon, so I'll be able to try it with your technique. Sounds like that will produce much better results.

That was the first print I made after playing with sharpening so I think I just need to get a feeling of how to sharpen for a print vs the web. It would be nice to find an article on how to do this, since I personally like sharpened images for certain content.
If you Google "sharpening for web vs print", I would guess that you will get a lot of stuff, some relevant, some not so relevant.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back