Ideas for a Photographic essay on subcultures...?

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have to do a photo essay for class and I'm having a bit of a mental block. It's relatively short (4 images), can be in either color or black and white and there is no limitations in terms of what can be done in post.

I am supposed to cover any subculture I'd like here in Portland, Or. I have a few ideas rolling around in my head (beer culture, coffee culture, bicyclists, etc.), but none seems to jump out at me. I know for sure I'd like to approach it in a very journalistic way, with little editing besides touch up and B&W conversion. I'm also leaning towards street photography, using the style of Bresson as my main influence, just using one lens (50mm).

So TPF, I basically just need help picking the right subculture, and the right approach to photographing them. :hug::

Well, whom do you know? Access to the group should guide your decision making. Just standing on the street and taking shots of bicyclists is not as effective as working with people whom you already know.

Former Dead Heads?
Car club members?
Video gamers?
Dog owners?
Gay bar?
Hikers?

How about people you suspect as murderers?

Well, whom do you know? Access to the group should guide your decision making. Just standing on the street and taking shots of bicyclists is not as effective as working with people whom you already know.

That's true, I guess I could go out with my friends and do bar culture or something. I was considering bicyclists because it has become ultra 'hip' to ride bikes in Portland. There is a huge sub-culture that has cropped up around it with a specific way to dress and even the haircut you sport.

And I'm not sure if I suspect too many people as murderers. Maybe I just give people the benefit of the doubt in that department.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back