If RAW is unprocessed, why is tint not always at 0?

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While you can do so many things with a RAW image, why is it that when I process an image, the tint shown to me by ACR is not EVER at "0"...always + or -....sometimes as much as +-30

I thought a RAW image was completely unprocess, so does the camera put a "tint" to it or what?

~Michael~

I don't know what software you are using. But most (i.e. ufraw, cameraraw) gets white balance from photo file. I think it have no sense having tint and temerature constat on every photo when you open raw file. When you have tint "as shoot" you have the good begining to star editing, when you have it at 0 you may start with green or violet photo and looking for good begining, IMHO waste of time.

Tint is just one axis of White Balance. The other being Kelvin Temperature. ALL WB settings involve setting values on both axes.

The RAW image is unprocessed and your RAW converter is applying a WB adjustment that includes some non-zero value on the Tint (Magenta/Green) axis in addition to some adjustment on the Temp (Blue/Amber) axis.

While you can do so many things with a RAW image, why is it that when I process an image, the tint shown to me by ACR is not EVER at "0"...always + or -....sometimes as much as +-30

I thought a RAW image was completely unprocess, so does the camera put a "tint" to it or what?

~Michael~
No, the camera isn't setting the tint. The raw file is unprocessed. Notice that when you open the raw file in ACR, the white balance (by default) shows "As shot." ACR is making its best guess at how the image was shot; that's why color temp and tint will be different for different images.

acr.jpg

If you prefer, you can set all the settings to zero and then save those as the default settings. I personally don't have any problem with ACR's "guesses," because I'm going to tweak them anyway, no matter what the default settings are.

I see, when you open in CR, it has to show something and that's what it thinks it was shot at so that's what it put it at! I see.

Thanks for the screen shot. That's exactly what I see when I open an image

~Michael~

I see, when you open in CR, it has to show something and that's what it thinks it was shot at so that's what it put it at! I see.

Thanks for the screen shot. That's exactly what I see when I open an image

~Michael~

I find that ACR's "guesses" are usually a pretty good starting point. Their guess is often better than mine.

The main thing is that all the raw data is still "in there." From ACR, if you open the image as a smart object in Photoshop, you can double-click the background layer icon and return to ACR anytime you want, and re-adjust your settings in ACR.

I will keep that in mind. I believe I will keep the "as shot" settings for now.

I can always readjust later while processing

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back