If you could only buy one...

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently been given the opportunity to expand/upgrade my equipment. I currently use a Digital Rebel XT and shoot in natural light. That said, I have the ability to either purchase a new camera (40d), a new kick ass lens, or a lighting kit (power pack, umbrella soft box, etc.). I shoot concerts and headshots/portraits. Now, my question to you all is: Which of the three items listed will help me the most? If you could only buy one, which would it be?

I would go for a new lens over a new body... but then, we don't know what lenses you have already. Although I looked at your profile to see if it mentioned any lenses and apparently you have a 5D... if you have a 5D and XTi do you really need a 40D? Anyway my inital response would be to go for the lens and/or lighting set-up first instead of the body, but, again that depends on what lenses you have already which we don't know :)

speedlights and gels.

Lighting is a lens's best friend! Instead of shooting right up next to the extreme of the aperture range, you can shoot in the sweet spot.

I doesn't help with concerts though so which do you want to shoot more?

I'd take the lens first and foremost (pro glass), safe up for the lighting kit, upgrade the body when warranted.

It doesn't help with concerts though so which do you want to shoot more?
Sure it does, you set up your speedlights off to the sides of the performers, put gels on that match the color of the stage lights, and go. Now, you can shoot at lower ISO's, tighter apertures, and still make it look like it's the stage lighting!3

You could put a different color on each performer! how cool would THAT be!

I currently use a Digital Rebel XT and shoot in natural light.
If you want to continue to shoot in natural light, then go with a great lens. If not, then get lights.

If you feel that a newer camera will give you something that you need (that your camera isn't' doing for you), then get the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back