If your in the market for a 5D MK II... $1999 at Adorama...

I started this same thread, about two or three months ago. :lol:

I bought a 5DmkII when it dropped to $2199, and then three weeks later, it was on sale for $1999. I too wondered if it was the blitz before the mkIII. Didn't seem to be.
Although, I think the people over at Canon Rumors are saying the mk III will be out sooner, rather than later.

I got my mk2 when Mike posted the $2k sale at vistek. Haven't seen it cheaper until this post.

I started this same thread, about two or three months ago. :lol:

I bought a 5DmkII when it dropped to $2199, and then three weeks later, it was on sale for $1999. I too wondered if it was the blitz before the mkIII. Didn't seem to be.
Although, I think the people over at Canon Rumors are saying the mk III will be out sooner, rather than later.

The rumors are starting to consistently point to an announcement early in 2012 and release by or in September. Of course those are still only rumors...

I've never known them to announce something and then release it 9 month later. It's usually two weeks max. Although, by the time it's actually available for someone to just walk into a store and buy one, several more weeks (even months) will have passed.

Yes, I was referring to general availability. The 1Dx is like 5 months between announcement and GA. If a 5D3 was announced in March than GA around Aug-Sep would be about right. And you have to figure they'd need time and resources for a rather large first run since you know demand will be through the roof.

I think you can find them even less actually, just have to go to some no name company. I've had luck with no name companies and with the insurance a credit card holds I think it's worth the risk.

Yes, I was referring to general availability. The 1Dx is like 5 months between announcement and GA. If a 5D3 was announced in March than GA around Aug-Sep would be about right. And you have to figure they'd need time and resources for a rather large first run since you know demand will be through the roof.
I don't know...sometimes they do (at least try) to populate the market for a quick availability. I think that is usually the source of the first leaks that we see. The cameras (and the marketing materials) get shipped out around the world, and someone inevitably leaks something, and that's when the internet forums start going crazy. Two weeks later, Canon formally announces the product and the stores are already rolling them out.
Of course, there may still be limited availability at first...and you may have to be on a waiting list to get one right away. But I think that 5-9 month would be an extremely long amount of time.

But that being said, Canon announced the 1Dx (and I think it came right from them) that it wouldn't be available for several months. I'd guess that they have a whole army of marketing execs who plan out when they will announce and when they will release new models. Still doesn't mean that they will do something that make sense to the rest of us....but I still think they have a plan of sorts.

But that being said, Canon announced the 1Dx (and I think it came right from them) that it wouldn't be available for several months. I'd guess that they have a whole army of marketing execs who plan out when they will announce and when they will release new models. Still doesn't mean that they will do something that make sense to the rest of us....but I still think they have a plan of sorts.

Makes sense. I work for a major software company and have a bit of insight into what goes into the logic between announcing a product and its general availability. There's usually about a bazillion factors that most consumers don't have line of sight to. That said, I'm sure the supply chain issues in Asia are playing a considerable factor to the 1Dx (and maybe even the 5D3).

thierry said:
Oh oh oh. D700 or 5DmkII? :p

That's my question too. I might convert to Nikon....

thierry said:
Oh oh oh. D700 or 5DmkII? :p

That's my question too. I might convert to Nikon....

With a blank slate....I'd choose the D700 as the 'best' $2000 DSLR. But I don't know if it's worth switching systems for.

Big Mike said:
With a blank slate....I'd choose the D700 as the 'best' $2000 DSLR. But I don't know if it's worth switching systems for.

Ok let's talk.... How do you like your new camera? I don't remember what you were shooting with before it, but you've had it for a little bit now so what do you think?

Im waiting on the d700 deals :)

Its not that im against cannon, just have too much invested in good nikon glass

I think I just got a photo-boner. :drool:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back