Ignorant consumer looking for some Advice

photo4elp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Right, so my girlfriend is fairly in to photography. Right now she uses some Olympus camera (I don't know the model) but it can't exchange lenses and doesn't allow for any sort of exposure customization such as F-Stop and Apeture and such. Anywho. She knows a lot about all of that but just doesn't have the equipment. So, I want to get her setup with some nice equip. I've been reading up and I'm fairly sure some sort of SLR Scheme is the way to go. Tell me if I'm wrong I'm more ignorant than I seem in this area. On one hand she likes to "Point and shoot" when she can but she also takes a ton of time with her photographs so every one is perfect. Anyways, she loves pictures so as I understand it the SLR, is the next step for a serious photographer.

I'm just looking for some advice on what to do, what to get. I want to get her something that will last a while, and has all the neat little "Photography Nerd" options that I"m sure you guys and her want. I think I'd like to spend around 500, maybe a bit more if need be. I understand Canon and Nikon are the two to look at. But all the info I've gotten so far is from the net and I know that a better source is YOU. So what do I need to get to do it right. I don't want to half ass this, so what is a good suggestion for a camera to get her started in to serious photography. I mean may be I need to buy just the body first and lens' later.

Let me know

Josh

You can IM me at Vapor64 if you want to talk 1 on 1, that would be great

Photography nerd? LOL

Get her a Canon Rebel setup , its relatively cheap and will do anything she needs it to. They can be had on ebay for anywhere from 100- 300 dollars.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you something like buy brand x its the best. Its normally based on what they like and use. (No offense havoc) But canon and Nikon are both reputable brands and are worth the money. What you should look more at is features. Make sure the camera has manual controls, and if she likes the point and shoot feel of it get one that has automatic settings also, Automatic focus is probably a good idea too. As far as what specs are better if theres a difference in shutter speed range it would be best to get the larger range, a depth of field indicator can be helpful, a higher flash sync speed is nice, just things like that. If you buy new you can probably get a new slr and lens for somewhere between 250-400 and it will satisfy her needs for a while. Definitly get her a lens tho otherwise she will not be able to take pictures. Good luck with it.

p.s.- i think i could get into being called a photography nerd

Alright Canon or Nikon.

So I'm looking for specefics if you have them, I realize it is taste, but it is going to be a present so I have to choose wisely without her being able to test.

What bases should I get. Which have those features you mentioned (Which I understand to some extent). What Models should I be looking at specefically I guess

Also. Lenses. I know usually the canon's and nikon's come in a kit with one standard 35mm lens. But I want to buy another as well, what is best to get, next to standard 35mm what is most important Telephoto? Wideangle? or something else?. My ideal would be a lens (1 35mm and another specialty) and base for around 500 bucks. That said, what is the best out there, or what should I get. Specefics are favorable, being that I know just about nothing.

Let me know

Thanks

and don't be afraid to IM me, if you have some advice, VAPOR64

I said a Canon Rebel because he is not into photography and and wants a camera that will do almost anything. The rebel has a bunch of gee whizz features, and will do anything anyone but the most demanding pro needs. It is auto, and manual, it has a decent meter, auto film winding, and is compatible with all auto canon lenses, which can be had relatively cheap online. Normally you wouldn't want to listen to someone saying buy "x" camera, but since its not for you, and you are not the one interested in the hobby i gave you a good viable option without going into the details you don't need.

Options are good, but they are also confusing, if you don't know what you need, then you will not be able to shop without a more directed view. Nikon's are great cameras, but they lack some options that the Rebel has until you get into the more prosumer models like the N80 and up. (most notably manual ISO selection) The rebel has this valuble option, and can be had for much less. Any camera can take great pictures, with that in mind, the most important thing is the person taking the picture.

I may be a Canon owner, but i would definetly recomend another brand if it fit your needs better. (I personally am going to switch to Nikon very shortly because i want the new Nikon Digital, and i don't want to buy lenses twice)

Hrmm, an interesting take.

Alright, so assuming I look in to the whole Canon Rebel thing. Which model, I mean there are several? And which lenses should I buy, keeping in mind I'm trying to keep it around 500 total, maybe a bit more though.

let me know

Josh

So i've been looking through the canon website and pricing a few things. As far as I can tell the Canon Rebel TI looks like a pretty good choice for what I am shooting for (no pun intended). Is this a good body? Is this what i"m looking for? Is there something better for my money in SLR? Why not the ELAN series? Or another REBEL like the GII or umm, that 2000?

I'm still wondering what lenses to get. What are most vital? If someone could recommend a couple of lenses to get, keeping in mind I have only chosen a body thus far (assuming I go with the Rebel TI). What lenses does she need? The way I understand it the TI is compaitible with over 60 Canon "EF" lenses, but I have no clue which ones to get.

Sitting confused

Josh

P.S. Vapor64 on IM as always

Don't mean to keep adding more before I even get responses, but i've been doing some more online research and I had more questions.

So I keep hearing about the Rebel TI being for beginners, and it sounds like the Bread and Butter starter camera. However, I also have heard good things about this Nikon N80 (What do you guys think?). I just found a package on the internet for 500 bucks even, which was about my budget, I'm going to reiterate it here, tell me what you think of it. I realize these "Combos" are usually not good, but sometimes they can be so I thought I'd check

-Nikon N80 SLR Body with a 1 yr warranty
-Nikon 28-80mm F3.5-F5.6 G AF Lens 1 yr warranty
-Nikon 70-300mm F/4-5.6G Zoom AF Nikkor Lens 5 yr warranty
-Digipro All purpose delux gadget bag DP6000
-Sanyo 2 123A Lithium Ion Photo Battery
-Sakar Lens cleaning Kit
-Nikon 2 year extended warranty for the N80 (3 yr total)

This sounds like quite a lot for 500 bucks (but what do I know). It included the body and 2 lenses which seem to cover closer wide angle shots as well as zoom. Plus I get all those little nifties, the bag and cleaning kit and such.

GIVEN. I don't know much about these products. So, are those lenses **** are will they be solid lenses for a semi-amature. Is canon Rebel still they way to go? Or is there yet another place I should be putting my 500 Dollars?

Thanks for the help thus far.

Josh

AIM = Vapor64

LOL, you have done more research then the average joe for their girlfriend. If i were to put the Rebel TI up against the N80, i would choose the N80. It has more advanced features that you may want in the future. The quality of the bodies is pretty similar, You can get a rebel setup eaasily for under 500 dollars, and if you look in the right places you can certainly find, a Nikon N80, or Canon Elan series for under that too. You might get alittle more bang for your buck with the Nikon N80 if your looking in the "prosumer" class of camera. The lenses that come with that package are decent lenses, certainly good enough to start out with.

I personally have an Elan 7e and like it very much. I must admit i was sucked into a bunch of its "gee Whizz" features that i rarely, if ever use. The Rebel would work just fine for me, but i insisted on having the best i could afford.

What it comes down to, is your personal choice, do you need every feature that an Elan or N80 has? Probably not, but it is nice to have.

As for the Lense, this is the bread and butter of every camera. I would even recomend skimping on the body if it saves you enough money for a good lense. Most people don't need the fastest auto focus motors on the market, but having a sharp lense that you can routinely blow up images to 11x14 or higher, that can be invaluable. Great lenses will however run you anywhere from 500-1000 dollars or more, and they are worth every penny. As for the body, these great lenses will fit on all the Rebel series, and the cheaper Nikons as well.

As you have found out there is alot to think about when your buying a camera, knowing what you want before you purchase is the best thing you can do for yourself. Look on ebay, look at packages that include a body and lense, see what they are going for and watch them for a few days. It will give you an idea of the price you should pay for them. You will prolly be suprised that there isn't too much difference in price between a Rebel TI series, and an Elan 7 series camera. The N80 will be alittle cheaper then the Canon equivelent.

Bottom line though, no matter what camera you go for, she will not be dissapointed with any of them. They are all workhores, and they are all great cameras.

Most reactions

Back