Ilford SFX 200

Rollei12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was looking at Ilford's SFX 200 infrared film at BH Photo and saw either there or somewhere else (I think Flickr) that it's a fairly easy film to use: you just put a red filter on and it appears like a true infrared film. Is it that easy or is it an "advanced" film? Anyone here ever use it?

It is easy to use but don't expect much of an infrared effect. It's more a near-infrared film.

SFX 200 has a peak red sensitivity at 720nm and extended red sensitivity up to 740nm.

I shot a roll once ... was not too happy with it.

Infrared is between 700 nm – 1 mm

Efke/Maco/Rollei infrared film has sensitivity up to 820nm.
I have some in the fridge, will try it later this year.

The best stuff was Kodak high speed infrared film, sensitive to 900nm ... but sadly no longer available. This film gave that real glowing feeling with punch.

Last edited:
SFX 200 has a peak red sensitivity at 720nm and extended red sensitivity up to 740nm.

I shot a roll once ... was not too happy with it.

Infrared is between 700 nm – 1 mm

Efke/Maco/Rollei infrared film has sensitivity up to 820nm.
I have some in the fridge, will try it later this year.

The best stuff was Kodak high speed infrared film, sensitive to 900nm ... but sadly no longer available. This film gave that real glowing feeling with punch.
Ive just been given some SFX and 3 rolls of the Kodak high speed infrared

That HIE must be old.
Hopefully it has been stored properly over the years.

If you want the IR effect you must use an IR filter and shoot the film at very low E.I. because of filter factor. Tripod necessary due to long exposure times. Some lenses don't work well in that range.

It will give the effect you're looking for if you use it in the manner needed to produce the effect. Look around flicker,ect. for examples of it's capabilities. It's a bit easier to use the HIE and some of the others as well.

I've never had any trouble with the Ilford SFX but what the others have said is correct: it's not 'true' infrared so your results will be nice - but not dramatically so. Still it's a fun film to play with, with the appropriate red filter. That will slow it down even more, of course, so use a tripod, and have at it!

*sighs deeply* Wasn't it the coolest? I believe that film had no anti-halation coating so you got that beautiful glow. I still have some in the freezer - way out of date, but I've used it within the last 2 years with zero changes. Not concerned - yet. ;) It's a thin film; I try to let the last few frames go so I don't lose anything if it kinks a bit when I load it on the reel.

Sure wish someone else would produce the stuff. Love the speed.

I used a lot of Kodak's e-4 process IR color transparency film in the '80s before I knew what I could do with it. Got some interesting results anyway. I have a roll floating around shot but undeveloped. Stored poorly so the results would be interesting if I could get it developed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back