I'm looking to buy a flash for my camera - any thoughts?

MrsMoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This will be my first flash, I was bidding on one on Ebay, but was outbid.

Do I need to buy something to put between the flash and camera, as not to ruin the camera? And if so, where do I find them?
Can anyone suggest the "right" flash for me? I really want to use it to get some good photos!

Flash Unit for Nikon D40 D50 D700 D60 D80 D300 D3 D200 on eBay (end time 08-Aug-09 12:07:13 BST)

above is a possible? I dont have a very big budget, and dont mind the condition, as long as it works and doesnt affect my photos

Thanks in advance :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want something rather inexpensive that 'just works' I'd recommend the Nikon SB-400. Otherwise look into the Cactus V4 wireless trigger system for off camera flash that you can use with various units (listed on their site I believe).

I really don't know what you can expect for the price range you're looking at in that auction however.

Thanks! Does the Nikon SB-400 have the adjustable bit at the top? So I can face the flash upwards if necessary. I Dont really want to spend more than £50 to be honest, I'm unemployed, and wanting lenses too!

Yes it does!

I have 2 SB-600's and an SB-400 and find that I use the SB-400 90% of the time or more. You should be able to find a used one close to your price range.

Now, all this said I'm just an amateur/hobbyist so I don't shoot for money - just fun and my subjects are typically my kids.

But hey, I love the natural look it gives my photos - and it's easy to use (turn it on).

Vivitar flash- (90 bucks)
Amazon.com: Vivitar 285HV Auto Professional Flash: Camera & Photo

Remote trigger system- (40 bucks)
Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4

Stand- (40 bucks about)
Calumet 10' Light Stand - MF6040 - MF6040

Everything you need, as cheap as you can get it. The stand is a bit of a splurge but they are nice and heavy duty. You can find cheaper ones, also you need a mount for the flash unit and stand. I don't feel like searching for that but everything there I just googled to find.

A warning about that flash though, it is completely manual so a little experience in using it will be required before you get used to it. It is however the best flash for its price and pretty much everyone agrees on it being a great first flash.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You know, this makes me just a little jealous of the Nikon flash system. That pop-up can act as a commander to get the flash off camera without more gear. Not a big deal, really, but still... -.-

Come on over to the dark side... you know you want to... lol

Personally, for the Nikon people, I'd suggest nothing less than a SB-600 for on camera futzing. The head rotates as well as goes up and down (the SB-400 cannot do that), it has a built-in wide angle fresnel and a bounce card. It can also be used as an off camera slave using CLS and most importantly, it is much stronger than the SB-400.

For the extra few dollars, the SB-600 gets my vote. Matter of fact, I own 2 of them, and love them. I used them in off camera flash situations 99% of the time and they are real work horses.

What, you aren't a Jon McNally and have ten or so SB-900's, Jerry? :lol:

Meh. Canon gear is serving me well, and that new L glass I got is freaking lovely. Maybe if I'm so pro that I can pull a Scott Bourne and switch everything completely just to get a little more AF speed...maybe then, if it makes sense. (Does that mean Canon is the side of light? You would think that with those red rings on L lenses that Canon would be more dark side-ish. :greenpbl: )

Do I have to use a trigger system? or can I just stick the flash on top of the camera?
the SB-600 would suit me better, I want the flash to move

I'm very new to the off camera flashes, sorry!

what about this one? Jessops 360AFD

thanks again

Oh yeah, you can of course just stick in on the shoe. But the nice thing about Nikons is that the pop-up flash can act as a wireless commander for your flash, if you say, got an SB-600. Canon cameras can't do that, TMK. I needed to get extra gear (the ST-E2 and Cactus V4's are both sound, or sacrifice a flash to be the commander).

Oh yeah, you can of course just stick in on the shoe. But the nice thing about Nikons is that the pop-up flash can act as a wireless commander for your flash, if you say, got an SB-600.

Not all Nikon's, and not her D60 in particular.

Really? I thought the D60 did. My bad. Ignore me; I'm a Canon shooter anyway. Thanks for correcting me. :D

would the D40x have worked? I was gonna get that one as my first dslr, but the shop only had a D60!

What, you aren't a Jon McNally and have ten or so SB-900's, Jerry? :lol:

"JerryH McNalley"...ROFL... I wish... that would mean free D3s and at least 20 SB-900's in my case for those "just in case" times that I want to light a jet at the local private airport.

Meh. Canon gear is serving me well
And I am sure it will continue. My mentor is a Canon user (5DmkII) and has all kind of "L" lenses in his kit... he pretty much uses only the 50 1.2 (50% of the time or more), 85 1.2, 24-70 2.8, a Tamron 15mm 2.8 UWA (surprisingly awesome on a FF camera) and a 70-200 the odd time.

He and I always do very similar quality shots with the usual Canon/Nikon differences (skin tone quality goes to Canon, low noise @ high ISO quality goes to Nikon as does the low light AF aquisition and speed, and a small nudge for the Nikon CLS, but thats no biggie because CLS has it's own limitations and we both use Pocket Wizards anyways). The rest is a complete and TOTAL wash, I don't care what anyone else says. You can do a masterful job with either system, if you know your stuff.

(Does that mean Canon is the side of light? You would think that with those red rings on L lenses that Canon would be more dark side-ish. :greenpbl: )

I dunno... does your camera make deep breathing noises, call you "Luke" and tell you it's your father? :lol:

would the D40x have worked? I was gonna get that one as my first dslr, but the shop only had a D60!

That one I am sure of... no it would not have worked anymore than your D60 does. Not to worry, once you get over the hump of mastering the basics, you are going to be using wireless off camera flash 95% of the time anyways using aftermarket triggers, so this feature is not something you will miss.

It is convenient in a pinch, great to have if you have it, but thats about it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back