I'm new and need some tips

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, my name is Stephen. I've posted on here before but have received my first DSLR (nikon d-40) and would like info on what I can do for good practice to become familiar with the functions of my camera, like the Aperture, Shutter, Manual modes, etc.

I've been playing around with my camera but I need a little guidance maybe? thanks

In my experience, you're better off sticking the thing in program mode (not auto!) and shooting pictures until you find that it didn't work... once it doesn't work, then you figure out why and start using manual/aperature priority/shutter priority as the situation demands.

This is just my approach, however... others will tell you to put the thing in manual now and force yourself to learn.

Each is a valid approach, but requires that you have a certain kind of personality for it to be successful. The latter will likely force you to learn faster, but you will also quite likely get VERY frustrated and need to have the patience to deal with that. The former is a slower learning process, but you will likely get more "usable" images earlier on, which may be encouraging.

Again, depends on personality.

Also pickup the book "understanding exposure". It's very popular around here and comes highly recommended as a good starting place.

Good luck and enjoy it!

random question. is the extended 4 year coverage for Nikon free? im confused.

Most reactions

Back