I'm new in photograpy and dunno what to buy

kareen21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm kareen. I interested in phogography since my school mate come to me last week. I discuss for her new hobby and i interested too. Could anyone here suggest what camera should i buy for beginner level like me.
Thanks...

First, welcome to TPF.

Second, not really. Nobody but you can decide which camera is right for you. We can't really even lead you in a general direction with a lot more information.

What kind of shooting do you anticipate doing? Portraits? Macro? Landscapes? Nature? General family stuff? Street?...

What is your budget?

What are you going to be willing to actually carry around and USE? A high-end DSLR is a wonderful thing, but for some people, they find it is TOO much camera. Carrying around a DSLR, several lenses, flashes, etc. is just not for some people, and others don't mind it.

If you want a DSLR, you might look at the lower-end Nikons, D3200, D5200 (or are they up to D5300 now? I forget). Others will recommend a Canon; I don't simply because I don't KNOW them, so I can't suggest one.

But there are very capable "bridge" cameras out there too--cameras that "look" like a DSLR, but don't have interchangeable lenses, and are usually a little lighter.

Even some point-and-shoots are an option for a lot of people who just want to take pictures, and don't want to really become a hobbyist photographer.

There's other considerations as well. My suggestion?
Decide on your budget, and whether you want to jump in with a DSLR or something like a bridge camera or a point-and-shoot. Then go somewhere--Best Buy, or whatever--and HOLD some cameras, try them out. Pick 3 or 4 options, and research them. What is the BEST choice for you is something only you can decide.

Welcome to the forum Kareen...

First, welcome to TPF.

Second, not really. Nobody but you can decide which camera is right for you. We can't really even lead you in a general direction with a lot more information.

What kind of shooting do you anticipate doing? Portraits? Macro? Landscapes? Nature? General family stuff? Street?...

What is your budget?

What are you going to be willing to actually carry around and USE? A high-end DSLR is a wonderful thing, but for some people, they find it is TOO much camera. Carrying around a DSLR, several lenses, flashes, etc. is just not for some people, and others don't mind it.

If you want a DSLR, you might look at the lower-end Nikons, D3200, D5200 (or are they up to D5300 now? I forget). Others will recommend a Canon; I don't simply because I don't KNOW them, so I can't suggest one.

But there are very capable "bridge" cameras out there too--cameras that "look" like a DSLR, but don't have interchangeable lenses, and are usually a little lighter.

Even some point-and-shoots are an option for a lot of people who just want to take pictures, and don't want to really become a hobbyist photographer.

There's other considerations as well. My suggestion?
Decide on your budget, and whether you want to jump in with a DSLR or something like a bridge camera or a point-and-shoot. Then go somewhere--Best Buy, or whatever--and HOLD some cameras, try them out. Pick 3 or 4 options, and research them. What is the BEST choice for you is something only you can decide.

Thanks for your tips and information. Glad that you are very helpful for noob like me. My budget for this new hobby between 500 - 1000 USD. Not much, but maybe next time i will allocate more my budget.
Thanks a lot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back