I'm new to it all

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cherylann19, Oct 19, 2006.

1. cherylann19

cherylann19 TPF Noob!

In the last year I have become fasinated with photography but don't know where to start. Right now I have started in my home with nothing but a black sheet snapping pictures of my kids. I really have no idea what I am doing and I think I take good pics but I just don't know where to start, what I need to learn first, second or third...you know what I mean. Any input would be good.

2. What kind of camera are you working with right now?

3. cherylann19

cherylann19 TPF Noob!

A Panasonic DMC-FZ7

4. Innocence

Innocence TPF Noob!

hello.

I did a quick search on your camera and it seems you have very high zoom power!

You could try to start taking more control of your camera, and your photography by having a try in manual mode, where you can set your own shutter and aperature speeds (among other things).

there is something called depth of field which I always find fun to play with! Do you ever notice in some [portrait] shots, the background appears blurry? haha I think you can try that! reduce your fstop down to minimum (2.8 - 3.3 on your camera is the range for the minimum - depending on your focal length (zoom)).

And then zoom in !! hopefully have a tripod so that it wont shake! Then take a shot! hehe hopefully the background will be blurry. this phenomena got me really really into photography because it's so beautiful - and shows you that you can do "different" things or create different effects even with a point and shoot!

5. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Your camera is fine for portrait work. Look at portraits by the better photographers with an eye to the lighting used. Also, keep the phrase 'More than just a likeness.' in the back of your mind. The difference between a good portrait and a great portrait is that the great ones tell us something about the subject.

You seem to be 'people centered.' For inspiration, get hold of a copy of Steichen's The Family of Man photographic exhibit and enjoy.

6. W.Smith

W.Smith TPF Noob!

Your cam, with its long zoom, is also very suitable for candids, sports, news, events, panoramas! (with autostitch), and even wildlife (tripod!), cherylann. Not just for portraits.

For portraits you'll soon want extra light (external flash) and/or a reflector, and/or some kind of softbox, and/or backgrounds. Stuff you won't need for candids, sports, news, events, panoramas, and wildlife....

7. cherylann19

cherylann19 TPF Noob!

Thank you all so much.

8. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well, i would suggest you go to your library and pick up a book about photography and how a camera works.
    I found it helpful to understand how focal length and shutter speed etc worked.

Then just fool around with your camera, take shots with a large Depth of Field and a small depth of field, then with long shutter speed and slow shutter speed.

9. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    does your camera have a hotshoe????

10. cherylann19

cherylann19 TPF Noob!

I'm afraid I don't know what that is...:confused:

11. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay a place on top to set and external strobe light.

12. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    From what I can see, the 7 has no connection for a separate flash unit.